Do you have a collection?

twist

I just got a new guitar for Christmas which brings the total to eight. Other than the newest one, I don't have anything particularly valuable or collectible, but they're all mine!

So that brings me to my question. Sometimes one or more of these guitars may sit untouched for months. If I know I won't be playing a guitar for a while, would it be better for it to loosen the strings, or should I leave it tuned to pitch?

Twist

I leave them all tuned up.

I'm thinking, how does the guitar know the difference between sitting on the stand or in it's case vs. being played? If you played it every day, the strings would be at tension, if it sits for weeks or months at a time, it's still at tension. The only difference, the frets aren't getting worn.

That's my thinking...I could be wrong.

I remember reading a very long time ago, in some stupid magazine, that if you leave a guitar sitting in pitch for too long (3 months) that you could be subject to warp. I have 6 and, mostly because of laziness, well. . . . I don't follow that advice but it doesn't mean it's not true. Hey, it could happen. LOL.

23 guitars here. I leave them tuned (12 strings too). After 40 years they seem to be doing OK.

I'm down to nine...

...everything stays tuned up. Four basses, two acoustics, two resonators, and the Les Paul.

None of 'em go THAT long between sessions.

I have 8 electric 6 strings, 3 basses and 7 acoustics (including a reso and a 12 string). The only one I tune down (1/2 step) is the 12 string. Many of these guitars I've had for many years - and I've never had a problem.

3 acoustics (one of them is a 12 string) 2 basses and 4 electrics and they're all strung and tuned, some in cases, some on stands. Some I play everyday, others haven't been touched in a year or so. Haven't noticed any problems with any of them as a result.

I've even had acoustics in open tunings for months on end without any ill effects. And some of those tunings are REALLY tight. It's scary to tune strings that high sometimes!

I leave them all tuned up.

I'm thinking, how does the guitar know the difference between sitting on the stand or in it's case vs. being played? If you played it every day, the strings would be at tension, if it sits for weeks or months at a time, it's still at tension. The only difference, the frets aren't getting worn.

That's my thinking...I could be wrong.

That makes perfect sense.

And to add, doesn't playing just add tension unless you play slide? :D

In reality I think it would depend on their environment.If stored properly in an area of proper humidity it should be fine to have them all stringed up. If you are not going to play them for a while(months at a time) I loosen the strings. Why stress the neck if you dont have to. Yes, they are designed for that but I like to be safe.

S3500037.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

Everything stays at pitch. No problems w/ any of them. I would be far more concerned about humidity than I would string tension.

Damn, those are old pics.

Man, where do you live???? Disneyworld? I'm jealous... Between the guitars, the tropical plants and the French Quarter porch, it looks like you live in the Magic Kingdom!!!!

It made my heart skip, just a little. If I had a collection like that, I'd totally sleep in the middle of them everynight.

It made my heart skip, just a little. If I had a collection like that, I'd totally sleep in the middle of them everynight.

Pff... that's nothing. Look through the "Let's see your studio" thread. There's some stuff in there that I would KILL to have. I just didn't get into this side of things until it was too late and I was already broke!

Back