Do You Find The Way I Hard-Panned The Vocals Annoying?

Morningloryseed

This is a GREAT cover of a great Dylan tune. Make sure you listen for a bit, as more insturments come in about 3/4 of the way through. It's not just guitar and vocals the whole time.

Anyway, I love the vocal being hard-panned side to the left side. Kinda gives it an older and a unique sound. But do you find it annoying? I love the way I mix music, but at the same time I want to be pleasing to the audience.

This is by the way a very old mix. I know a few things need correcting (like the inconsistant guitar volume for the little refrains after each verse.) Anything else you notice?

What do you think?

Blind Willy McTell

I'd be so grateful on any feedback in general on the song. Thank you.

I like the song., but I wouldn't have panned the vocal that way. I'm a huge Dylan fan.... and by far most of his stuff puts the vocal right in the middle, because most of the time his lyrics and delivery ARE the song. I would have put the vocal in the middle and the guitar panned.

Also..... the guitar needs some body to really capture the sound. It sounds like a DI from the guitar to the recorder (or sound card). Really needs to be miced with a fuller sound. It's played well, but doesn't sound like the guitar sound from that era.

I've done a bunch of Dylan songs myself. This one you did was very well played and well sang, and I liked it.

Here's a link for a couple of mine...... http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2124&alid=-1

There are a couple there that are religious content... but done in a very Dylan manner. "Worship and Praise" is the same style as the one you have posted. And, "Set My Soul Free" is a Dylan with a band style.

Back