Do you buy Gig Insurance? Why or Why Not?

Dyson Steel

Well recently I've decided to take another step in this sue happy world and I am going to be investing in some insurence for the concerts I am involved with.
Now this part of the music world being new to me and another step in the growing, and guarding myself against losses are there any pros out there that can make recommendations?

When I went to check on the cost today I started getting ask questions I never really thought much about, except the one about "pyrotechtecs".

1. Was I the Sponser?
2. Was I the promoter?
3. Was I going to use or allow the use of a "Lightning Machine"?
(What the heck is that? A Strobe light???)
4. How many band members?
5. etc.etc.etc......

$$$ Cost on $100K, 300K, 1 M ?

Thanks for all input in advance everyone

:D
Dyson

... i might be able to point you in the right direction. are you the promoter of these shows? what is the your role in these concerts?
peace - jv

Yes, well, I do my share of it. Promoting, sometimes sponsering too. At least I have in the past several times. But I never realized the chance I was taking. It'd be nice to have some advice from some one who has done this before.

I do have a company that may sponser the upcoming one this time. But I'll still be promoting it. It will also be on Indian property and I have to sign a libiality release form for them.

Thanks JV

D

hmmm...

i would think the liability issues would vary between being a sponsor, a promoter, and what would fall on the venue itself. is there an entertainment lawyer that you could speak with in your area? they could probably give you the lowdown, as it probably also varies from state to state. if you end up with any very specific questions, i may be able to dig around in my circle of business and get you an answer. sorry i can't be more help right off the bat. i deal with stuff more from the artist perspective.
peace - jv

JV
I'm not the artist but close to them. But this is something that I don't think they are aware of either. I saw on the news the other night where Cortney Love was in jail for throwing a mic stand that hit a guy in the head and sent him to the hospital.

Now these guys don't get roudy like that but you can't ever tell when some show off all of the sudden goes nuts for what ever reason and some one gets hurt.

Just trying to protect every one involved in the fun of music and concerts.

No Entretainment lawyers with in 200 miles. At least on this side of the state line. and crossing the state line won't help me. To top that its on Indian property as I preveiously stated.

Thanks
D

Dyson Steel said:
JV
I'm not the artist but close to them. But this is something that I don't think they are aware of either. I saw on the news the other night where Cortney Love was in jail for throwing a mic stand that hit a guy in the head and sent him to the hospital.

Now these guys don't get roudy like that but you can't ever tell when some show off all of the sudden goes nuts for what ever reason and some one gets hurt.

Just trying to protect every one involved in the fun of music and concerts.

No Entretainment lawyers with in 200 miles. At least on this side of the state line. and crossing the state line won't help me. To top that its on Indian property as I preveiously stated.

Thanks
D
Let us not forget that Courtney has a history of idiotic behavior :D

That being said, the litigation industry in this country has a habit of suing anyone and everyone they can in any given scenario where money is to be made.

Here are some links, sorry if you've already seen them:
http://www.indikatt.com/GigInsurance.htm
http://www.musicproinsurance.com/
http://www.electricbluesclub.co.uk/insurance.html#insurance links
http://www.electricbluesclub.co.uk/insurance.html

Thanks Chris. Now this is what I am looking for in information. I figure others out there need it too!

I did get a quote today. It was $450 (cheapest) for $1,000,000 coverage.

No lightning machines, 1 band, no pyro stuff, 250 or less people venue, no concessions, etc.etc.

Well, there was a change and we now have a opening band. Not only that there is a lazer light involved. I can see-------------
$$$ UP,UP,UP...

I ask for another quote.
I have a few different agencys working on it. I'm doing the price comparing.
I can see this is a ongoing thing now! frustrating!!!

Question is.
Do I need $1,000,000 worth of coverage?

D

I completely understand what you are saying about Courtney!

I'm trying to fully understand this:

Are you saying that $450 is only going to cover one show at a venue that only fits 250 people? I find that amazing. That's a huge chunk of the profits, even if it's a fairly expensive ticket.

I've never insured a gig (but nobody really gets rowdy at a solo acoustic gig...maybe with Tenacious D, but I'm not quite as famous as Jack Black :) ). Really, though, I'd have to say the artist should probably have very little liability in anything that happens, save for something like what happened to Great White.

The promoter...hmmm...can't really see where there would be much liability there either as long as you planned things out properly (not overselling a general admission venue, not promoting an attitude of mindless violence, etc.). I could see where some might point fingers if it were a gangsta rap or Marilyn-Manson-type gig.

Is the laser absolutely necessary? That's the only problem I can see. Is it a laser specifically designed for entertainment or did some nut modify a barcode scanner or medical laser? :)

Another thing. People tend to be more "sue-happy" if they think there's a better chance of getting money. If you're insured for a million smackers, and the wrong lawyer finds out, you might end up in a lawsuit because some joker claims the music was too loud and caused them some hearing loss.

Anyway, good luck in your investigation.

Re: johneeeveee

Dyson Steel said:
You gonna give me some more info? I have 35 days till the event.

I did read the stuff ChristopherM posted.

D

... i don't know if i could dig up any more info than what chris has passed along... it would probably be somewhat redundant. i'm on tour right now, and don't have a lot of time (sorry), but when i get to la, i will ask around for ya... there are a million entertainment lawyers there, and i may run into some old friends that are in that business. i'll do the best i can for ya, but i may be away from a computer for a few days.
peace - jv

Musician's Union?

I don't know about the USA but here in the UK if you are in the musician's union you automaticaly get personal liability cover. I think that covers you if, for example, you kicked over your mic stang by mistake and it poked a member of the audience in the eye, that kind of scenario.

I am only at the 'playing in bars' level. Here in the UK I would imagine the bar owner is the person responsible (the promoter as such) for crowd safety, not me the performer, unless of course I did something outrageous to hurt others or did not take sufficient care.

Other insurance to look into....

in addition to liability for injury to others, would be insuring your equipment against damage by some drunken idiot in the audience who climbs up on stage, or some smackhead running on stage picking up your beloved Gibson les Paul and disappearing out into the night to sell it for his next hit... it has happened, and the bar owner will not recompense you.

I always sus out the bar, if there is an street exit near to the 'stage' area wherre someone sould make a quick ruin for it then I make sure my guitar is put away in the dressing room or somewhere safe until its showtime. Sorry to deviate off the topic...

You got to love this business!

Well every one,
I talked with a guy over in Texas. He is a drummer but also sells insurence for a living. He can't help me out over here in OK. But assures me that $375 to $450 is the going price on 1 Mil.

Your right Chris about the possibility of a suit because of someone finding out but that's just something I have to deal with.

The Musician has liability coverage. But I am considered the sponser and promoter. That's a whole nother liability.

There's not a whole lot I can do at this point. The Insurance, as I understand it, is set for a minimum of 1000 people. So if there are only 250 people vinue its still based on 1000 people.

JV, When you get a chance, if you get a chance I will be egarly awaiting what you find out.

Thanks All
D

Back