Do you believe in writer's block?

Do you believe in writer's Block?

• Yes.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • No.

Votes: 17 21.3%

• Total voters

I dont have any great talent to speak of, but... if I absolutely cant make music that night, I might try lyrics (a general no go for me usually, lol) or, more likely I'll spend a night trying to make weird drum rhythms up, or searching for new instrument voices.

OR... taking a look at an OLD track. One that "worked" but... isn't up to snuff by my todays standards... you know the one, the one you wished you hadn't made until you learned how to do "X" technique, whatever milestone that was. Try to re-do it, add something, or just re-mix it.

kinda like the "paperwork" of the music world. And once I content myself to the drudge work, happy to be doing somethign productive, usually before the sessions over, I can think of something I wanna try...

Anyone struggling creatively (like me) should try a stream of conscoiusness exercise.

Once a week set 30 minutes apart without any media around. Grab a cup of coffee, a sheet of paper and a pen, and start writing. Whatever. Without thinking about wether this stuff is usable or not, cheesy or pretentious, too emotional or to shallow etc. Just write.

Add another level to this exercise and cut up the words or short phrases you generate then spread them out on a table and see if you can make any connections between them.

Worked for Bowie for years

A Reflection

The thread on 'writer's block' is the most popular on the forum - the irony exists on so many levels

I don't believe in it either. We all (I guess) fluctuate in quality and rate of output but I don't find that to be a 'block' as such. If I can't think of anything new for a song I'm working on, I put it to one side and work on a different one.. ..or read the paper! I read the news today, oh boy!:D

writer's block is just a part of the process. if it makes you stop, that's when it becomes a problem. you just have to work through it!

writer's block is symptom a deep and usually hidden damage to the self - there's a part of you that needs to be heard, but you've been conditioned over your life to prevent that part from coming out. If you really have it, it takes a lot of work to overcome, and those who are free of it might consider sharing some of the positive energy that they are blessed with, instead of just saying that writer's block doesn't exist.

Apologies, I am guilty of saying writers block doesn't exist.

But I think it's simply about confidence and self belief (or rather, lack of...) After writing songs all my life I can say that I'm song writer and mean it.

If someone says, sing us a song. I can. If they say you're not a song writer because you're not published/famous, etc. I can honestly say I don't care. I'm a song writer.

And when I sit down to write, I do it without fear or worry and stuff comes out. My self-belief comes from years and years (decades) of simply doing it.

Am I "any good?"

It really doesn't matter anymore. :)

I'm kind of on the fence about this. I can't really say that I have writer's block, because I've never really written at all. By that I mean complete songs. As my user name suggests, I write riffs. I have ideas and sections of music that sometimes I don't neccesarily even expect to finish. It does feel quite good when I think I've done something brilliant, but I am soon dissapointed when I have a 90 second song and nothing more to add. I know local musicians that would like to play with me, if I only had some songs... but a 30 minute set seems like a distant dream when I hit that 90 second wall.

I've thought at times that maybe I'm just too critical of myself. If it doesn't make me think "wow, I can't believe I just did that", then I don't really wanna do it. And I want everything I do to represent me. I like to have variety, but at the same time, I don't to have a song that I feel the need to say "this isn't what I normally sound like". I want every song to be worthy of being the first song of mine that anyone hears.

Also, my lack of theory is something I'm aware of. After 15 years of self-taught guitar and 7 years of self-taught piano/keyboard, I'm going back to basics and taking piano lessons and relearning all the stuff that might have helped me in the beginning. Not because I think it will save me, but it can't hurt either, right?

Uh-oh

(lurker gets brave and decides to make an attempt to contribute, completely against his better judgement)

I suppose it depends on why you are writing...

When I was in the rock band 20 years, there was always a feeling of "needing" to write. As the principal songwriter, i was always getting pressured for a new song. This usually consisted of my drummer throwing things at me until I got a riff that was heavy enough. (This happens when you put an SRV disciple in a band with someone who owns more than one Kiss lunchbox)

In this environment, you bang away until something sticks.

Now, I have songs in my head that want out. I have no band, unless you count BFD2 and my alter ego "Stinky Thumbs Arbuckle" on bass. (best thing about 'ol stinky thumbs is that he never takes a solo or bitches about the mix)

Presently, I have a great verse and a great chorus that won't get down and do the nasty together. (I have a strong affection for rough verses and pretty choruses...This causes a multitude of problems and generates many interesting prechoruses.)

Here again we have a choice to make. Get it done NOW or wait until it solves itself.

I'm under no real pressure, I just need the song out of my head.

I wouldn't call it writer's block, just an interesting musical problem.

Lyrically, just make sure to stay away from the bargain racks. Your life, though perhaps full of strife, has nothing to do with a knife.

And for the love of all things holy, don't ever put yourself on a shelf.

SA

Oh, most of these problems get solved while doing something else. I write most lyrics while walking the dogs...without even trying to.

I wrote a book on writing lyrics and if may help you if you feel blocked. It's called The Little Shop of Lyrics and it's free if you PM me with your email address. It might help,

Wig:)

Back