Do these mixes make my bottom end look fat?

TexRoadkill

Audio Bum
Hey guys. Got a couple new mixes from the same project as the last one. I think I'm getting a handle on the low mids but I'm sure you guys can prove me wrong, lol. Have I carved out too much of the low mids? How's the bass on your systems? Any comments appreciated. Thanks for listening.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1537&alid=1797

"I Exist" - Strings and harmonies. An everything but the kitchen sink production.

"Light On" Hillbilly banjo pop with lots of acoustic layers.

With Grado earphones (a little bit bass emphasizing) on the first song I can hear the kick's verb tail that reaches into the bass tail. But it is so slight in my opinion and audible only really in the quiet bits at the beginning. All else has no 'mud' that I can hear.
Your lows hold the songs together. I don't think fat. Not in a negative sense. You could reduce the bass on Exist up to 1:58 by a db or two.
The songs sounds very, very good to me. Either you or Reaper or you is doing a v. good job.
I really dig Light On and the melody. Banjo at 0:50 secs is cool.

PS: Who is your bv on Light On?

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this one. Nice arrangement. I really like some of the synth sounds. What are you using for those. I hear one that sounds like an accordian that sounds really good. But the blending of the synth sounds is very well done. The vocal harmonies are excellent. The percussion is nice, understated and out of the way. Good job.

Listening to I Exist....
Very nice tune, first of all. But I think you overdid it a bit with the high mids on the mix, they really bite. I could only listen to it at low volume, 'cos it hurt my ears. Pity because the performance is really good. But the voice is riddled with esses, the acoustics sound "tinny". I would back off on the EQ.

Joey :)

EXIST:
Man, that is a nice mix you have going on there. The only thing I would ask is where is the bass? Was there a bass guitar tracked? Not much low end I can hear, but beautiful acoustic guitar micing, electric has such a "woody" pure sound, and the organ is great throughout. Just the right amount of reverb on the tambourine. Excellent vocals, mix of the harmonies and with other tracks. Sweet sounding mix.

newbie alert

I like them both, especially the first.

"Home Recording" being a new thing for me, and this being my first post(...nervous...the intimidation factor is high), I won't and can't offer any criticism, constructive or otherwise. I have to say, i'm very impressed with many of the songs the members of this forum have posted. I would rather listen to what I have heard on this site than what is commercially available.

I am getting a recorder for Christmas(probably the Tascam 2488neo...will have to save my pennies for some decent mics, etc.), and I can clearly see now how much there really is to doing decent recordings. I have to say, though, from what I have read the vast majority of the people here are well meaning, helpful, and pleasant.

Maybe one of these days i'll get the nerve to post something here. :o I haz a dream.

Keep up the good work!

(I could/should have started by choosing a better name. I think it's kind of an inside joke...but I just can't remember what it is)

Back