Do Or Die...

bean....

Alright, this is the first band I ever recorded (for free, of course), and man, I've learned so much so far, it's ridiculous. This band, Kyablue, consists of a couple of my friends (2 of them just graduated, the bassist is a junior), and it's pretty emo...not really my kinda thing, but it's all good.

I'm postin this one 'cause it's easily the shortest song on the EP (2 mins), so it wouldn't be too big of a burden to listen to.

There are definitely some pitch issues on a couple of the vox parts, but they just wanted to leave it. Everything was done either live in one or two takes or overdubbed in a take or two, so we just kinda sped through everything, that's just what they wanted to do...

So please comment, help me out on this, give me some advice!

Do Or Die

First time you've recorded or just first time recording an other band (asuming you have a band of your own)? Either way thats pretty good.

Besides the bands preformance, There is a little you can do to the mix.

Drums: When the hi-hat is closed it sounds a bit odd, maybe a little too live. The snare kinda sounds like its just a crappy snare to record so I wouldn't change it that much, because it sounds captured well. Maybe a little reverb on snares and toms would help.

Bass: The bass needs to come up, because I can't pick this out on the mix at all.

Guitar: The distorted part is very good with just the right amount of reverb. The clean parts are pretty good but maybe need to be a bit louder, because they sound like u are surround phasing them.

Otherwise this is a pretty good mix for the lack of time spent on it.

Hey man, thanks so much for the reply...

As for the drums, I've had a lot of trouble with the reverb, because it was only mic'ed with 3 mics (2 OH's and Kick), so having control over it has become pretty tough. Whenever I try to add verb to the drums (for the snare and toms - what I've been trying to do for awhile) the D-Verb just starts to sound TERRIBLE on the hihats (that might be what you're hearing on the closed hats).

As for the bass and guitar, I shall definitely turn them up. For the distorted guitar part, I was afraid I put WAY too much reverb on, so it's pretty reassuring to hear you say that...

Also, how are the levels on the vocals?

Seriously, thanks for takin' the time.

Maybe I could hear another point of view? Keep em coming, please!

Back