DO NOT BUY from Mic-Hawk.com

ugh... Just want to give people a heads up, maybe you all could have told me a thing or two, I don't know...

This is related to my other thread down further about the Philips mic that didn't work:

I've been jonesing for a Philips LBB-9020 model dynamic for a while, and finally decided to get one to try it out. Not really sure why, I guess they look cool. Anyway. I went looking on eBay, thought they were a bit pricy for what they were, but since they're not common at all I guess that's the reason. I ended up getting in contact with Richard at Mic-Hawk.com who had a few of these for about $140.00 each. I still thought it was steep but it was cheaper than the others I saw. So, we did a PayPal transaction and about a week later I got the mic.

Plug it in, I get nothing. Ok, well maybe I'm doing something wrong. It does have a tuchel connector and he included a cable adapter to XLR. Thought the cable might have been bad. Tried tapping right to the leads with clips and bypassing the cable altogether. Nope. Took the sheath of the mic off and looked inside. Nothing out of the ordinary, I bypassed the circuit board and tapped right into the leads coming off the capsule. Still nothing. Ok, so I got a bad mic. I emailed the guy, he said I could send it back and he would replace it as he had a few others.

I sent it back, mind you I paid 13.00 for shipping to have it go back USPS priority mail (cheapest I could get). I don't say anything about the shipping, I just eat it thinking well, I'll get a replacement and I'll mention it later. I confirm with him he got back my return, and tested to find that sure enough it was not working. So he says he'll send me another one that works.

We keep in touch throughout, and he says he sent out the replacement and it works. I question how he went about testing it, but he never responded to it. I was really just more curious than anything. So now, I receive the replacement. Guess what? Doesn't work either! And it's a different kind of 'doesn't work'. This time, the capsule sort-of responds, like to taps etc. But nothing if you talk or sing into it. There's a bass roll-off switch and also and on-off switch for this mic. Turning it on, you can tell it's been switched on. Switching the roll off switch, you can tell it's doing something but one side doesn't respond at all and the other side gets a little sound, with the gain and volume of the mixer cranked to max. It's also horrendously noisy. So, basically, it's non functioning if I can't use it as a microphone. So I send him this email:

Richard,
I have to voice my displeasure. This microphone also does not work. It shows some sign of signal if I tap on it with the gain ALL the way up on any mixer. How did you go about testing this one to make sure it was working as it should? Can't speak into it or anything more than a barely audible tap.

This has now cost me the price of the mic plus the 13.00 shipping for the last one. Why am I having such an issue with this? Did you physically test this one? I'm sorry but I'm getting annoyed.

How does he respond? Like this:

You're getting annoyed?
I've sent you 2 good mics that come back trashed.
You lose $13, I lose $250, so be a good sport about it like I am.
Send it back, get your refund and leave me alone.
Send the clip back too, I don't want to keep sending you mics.

Wow. I'm sitting there beside myself. What in the hell?? So, I itemized it for him.

You're getting annoyed?

Yeah, actually I’m really annoyed. I paid for a working product from a legit business and got non-working products twice. So, put yourself in the customers’ shoes for a minute and see how you would feel.

I've sent you 2 good mics that come back trashed.

Untrue. 1, you sent me 2 mics. Neither worked. 2, only one has come back so far and you never answered my question about testing the second one. And I think “trashed” is a bit over-the-top, don’t you? I sent back the mic in the same condition it came in. I don’t know where this “trashed” idea comes in..??

You lose $13, I lose $250, so be a good sport about it like I am.

Be a good sport? I didn’t even say anything about eating the cost of the shipping until the second one came in defective, And I’d be willing to bet your cost on each of those mics was not $125.00, and that you made an $8.00 profit, so don’t BS me. I had to go take time out of my busy schedule, the same as I’m doing now, to ship back something that was supposed to work in the first place. I was being a perfectly good sport about it not working, until I received a second one that also didn’t work and now I question your capability to properly test these before sending them out.

Send it back, get your refund and leave me alone.

Fine.

Send the clip back too, I don't want to keep sending you mics.

And frankly, Richard, I don’t really want to keep doing business with you either. What a piss-poor attitude on your part. Instead of standing behind what you sold me, you’re downright accusing me of creating the problem. Such a shame if this is how you treat your customers.

I’ll send back the mic and clip, and you’ll refund my $133.00, and that will be it.

What a prick. I hope he is reading this too because I want to make sure nobody buys anything from this guy. If anyone has a similar experience, please speak up. I've obviously learned my lesson. He can take back his "trashed" mics, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. Here's an idea: send me something that actually works and you don't have an issue...

Well, I feel sorry for you as you lost quite alot for the microphone..Thanks for the advice though, I'll know one less website to buy equipments from now.

Cheers,
Darren

Thanks everyone for sticking on my side..

I always get a little uncomfortable displaying my personal correspondence on the web, but you know, I have to report things like this. Maybe I just happened to pick a lemon of a mic, who knows. But either way, he obviously didn't test them before sending them out.

I just sent it back again, ate another 14.63, and i'm through with that guy. I've now eaten $28.00 for returning a 133.00 microphone.

What I'm really still hot about is that he downright accused me of "trashing" the mics! Where do people come up with this stuff??

his correspondence was downright rude...he should have apologised, offered to pay for the return shipping and tested and sent out a new mic with a discount on your next purchase

Its a buyers market out there, companies live or die on how they treat their customers...retail is a service industry...its in the name

I doubt youre a one off

This is not a "I told ya so..." post, but I almost exclusively buy from Sweetwater. There's good reason to pick a retailer based on name recognition.

This guy sounds like an a$$ and it's good when people come here to warn other to stay away. Karma goes around; you'll get your shipping costs back.

The crazy thing is, it wasn't even an e-bay deal. The guy has a website that he sells from, but also has stuff on the bay.

I know the name "Mic Hawk" definitely gives off the wrong impression, and I hesitated to buy from him in the first place. I did get my refund back, minus the shipping costs. At least I did not lose that.

I'm surprised more people on here didn't know about the site in the first place, just being what is is, etc.

I ended up giving it another shot and bought the same mic from a different seller, so we'll see. I don't want to give up yet.

The crazy thing is, it wasn't even an e-bay deal. The guy has a website that he sells from, but also has stuff on the bay.

I know the name "Mic Hawk" definitely gives off the wrong impression, and I hesitated to buy from him in the first place. I did get my refund back, minus the shipping costs. At least I did not lose that.

I'm surprised more people on here didn't know about the site in the first place, just being what is is, etc.

I ended up giving it another shot and bought the same mic from a different seller, so we'll see. I don't want to give up yet.

So, how does this end, did the new mic work, did it give you the sound you were looking for, did Mic.Hawk getting cut off from Pay-Pal (come on man, that was funny). You started the story, you should let us know how it ends. (hum, there was no pun intended there, but there seems like there is one)

So, how does this end, did the new mic work, did it give you the sound you were looking for, did Mic.Hawk getting cut off from Pay-Pal (come on man, that was funny). You started the story, you should let us know how it ends. (hum, there was no pun intended there, but there seems like there is one)

He did tell us. He returned the 2nd mic and got his money back minus the shipping costs. :)

Whinylittlerunt said:

Back