Do I use a mixer for this??

dudlew

Hi. I have a small, very budget home studio. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, an M-Audio Audio Buddy mic pre, my stereo, a pair of headphones and plan to get some monitors in the near future.

What I want to know is if a small mixer will allow me to beable to switch between the headphones, my stereo and my monitors, and if I should pass my mic pre through it as well. I am looking at the Berhinger UB802 mixer that can be had for $50. Is this a good mixer for this? seeing that all signals for recording, mixing and possibly mastering will be sent through this little puppy?

Or do you recommend something else entirely. I was considering an 'audiophile' headphone amp to be used, so that I can do my mixes with headphones (not much of a choice as I share a home and if I burn the midnight oil, monitors are out of the question, until the evening time or if everybodyelse goes out. I plan to get the HD280 pros by the way). Is the headphone amp in a mixer like this upto the calibre of an 'audiophile' headphone amplifier? And if you think the headphone amp would be better, how do you recommend connectivity?

My thoughts are mic -> pre -> mixer -> 2496 analog out -> mixer -> monitor/ stereo and in addition, 2496 digital out -> SuperDAC2496 -> Headphone amplifier.

is this feasible or are there other, better ways?

D

the Behringer HA4700 has four stereo outs that you can route to an amp then passive monitors OR route to active monitors. It's a very easy solution to the problem and it'll save you the $$$ on a mixer which wouldn't give you three or four outs that are identical.

I have one and though I don't use three different monitoring setups, I do use four sets of phones every now and again. Sounds transparent at decent volumes. Give it a look.

Chris

Back