Do I need to upgrade from Cubase VST/32?

KillerV

I am currently still using Cubase VST/32 5.1r1 for everything I record. It is an upgrade for Cubase VST/32 5.0 that was availble from the Steinberg site and gave me all the plugins and some functions that came out with SX.

I have been concentrating on upgrading hardware like mics, pre's, etc. up untill now and I'm pretty satisfied with the results I'm getting. I use a lot of different VST plugins and I find my DAW-setup that I've got going at the moment very functional and pretty easy to use.

Would there be any real benefit SOUND-WISE to upgrade to a newer version of Cubase? And if so, what are those benefits? With software like Reaper getting such great reviews I might actually just go with that instead of paying 100's of $$$ for the new version of Cubase if I need to upgrade.

BUT I don't really want to change anything because of how well I know my current setup. I would only seriously consider it if there is something significant I can gain from it in terms of sound quality.

I dont know about the differences in the mix engines between VST and C4 (or SX) but the sound quality has everything to do with your recording chain, not the software.

As far as upgrading, I wouldn't hesitate. You can try reaper for free btw.

I run an older version of the software that I know and I say if it works and you like it and the results are good, then upgrading would really only mean paying money to have to learn to do things all over again. Of course, a new program would have more features, better plugins, and support for multithreading which would all help with the efficiency, etc. but not produce any sonically different recordings in the absence of all effects. If you are comfortable with what you have, the quality will be the same (or at least so close to the same that it wouldn't make a huge differnce).

I run an older version of the software that I know and I say if it works and you like it and the results are good, then upgrading would really only mean paying money to have to learn to do things all over again.

That's how I feel about it. I'm pretty comfortable with what I have now and would hate to have to learn new software now. Allmost all of the plugins I'm using are ones that didn't come with the program and are pretty new, so that doesn't really bother me.

I asked this same question to the guy running the recording-department in the music store where I normally shop (not that I really trust them, though) and he started telling about how much better the audio-engine was and how I was basically shooting myself in the foot by still working on an older version. Of course the new version would cost me a lot of money that I'd rather spend on something that will make a real difference.

Thanks for the replies so far, btw.

it probably shouldn't make much difference but i'ld be surprised if it didn't make some... things have changed considerably since vst32 was a pup... but then we dont know how old the puter is either it may not run the new software... so it's no easy decision.... seems to me if you're going to stay in this you'll have to switch someday... the question then is when would be best...

Back