Do I need to Dither?

adam

I have recently for the 1st time recorded some tracks at 24/96. Now I want to export them to wav/mp3 to play in various player and for posting on the internet. When I create a wav w/ a 24 bit depth it won't play on my computer (assume b/c the stock sound card isn't 24 bit).

So what do I need to do? Do I need another program or can I do it in Sonar?

Thanks!

You're saying your audiocard isn't 24 bit? Then 24bit waves won't play...

And I'm pretty shure that Sonar will dither on mixdown. If it won't, use a editor like SoundForge.

adam said:
So what do I need to do? Do I need another program or can I do it in Sonar?

...it should be a simple task in SONAR. make sure you export them 16 bit in Export option. Here...

Attachments

• save as.jpg
    save as.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 89
Thanks for the graphic! :D

I did see that but I wondered what process the audio would go through in changing it from 24 to 16. I have started to read posts about dithering vs. simply cutting off the bit length. As you can tell, I don't know much about these processes yet.

I thought Sonar "dithered" it down from 24 to 16, and Help files agrees... :D

It does dither, if you select that option.

Options > Audio > Advanced: "Apply Dither" checkbox.

If exporting the wave is the very last thing you will do before burning to CD, you should drop the bit rate to 16 and dither. (However, Sonar's dithering algorithm is not the world's best. :) )

If you are going to do any further processing of the wave, leave it at 24 bits and do not apply dither. Changing bit rate and dithering should be the very last step.

Dachay, just a quick question:

Which program would you recommend to dither from 24 bit down to 16 bit? Sound Forge 6?

I thought I just saw the dither check box on the 'Export' window, but not on James' graphic. Different version?
Wayne

moskus said:
Dachay, just a quick question:

Which program would you recommend to dither from 24 bit down to 16 bit? Sound Forge 6?

Waves L1 or L2 (but you might have to send your wife out on the street to earn enough money to buy it). :p

I thought I just saw the dither check box on the 'Export' window, but not on James' graphic. Different version?
Unless they moved it with version 2.1, up until version 2.0 it has been located in the Options > Audio dialogue.

However, it does make more sense to me to locate it on the Export Audio window - so maybe they did move it with 2.1. This way you can chose to use it or not for each export, rather than set it as a global default.

dachay2tnr said:
Waves L1 or L2 (but you might have to send your wife out on the street to earn enough money to buy it). :p
Aaaw, crap! I'm trying to avoid this... but what the hell, whatever it takes! :D

moskus said:
Aaaw, crap! I'm trying to avoid this... but what the hell, whatever it takes! :D
That's the spriit!! I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight. :)

I sent mine out on the street and she never came back. But at least I still have the L1. :D

dachay2tnr said:
I sent mine out on the street and she never came back. But at least I still have the L1. :D

...Where ? What's the name of the street ? I'll pick her up. I need L1 too...
:D

Back