Do I need to buy a vintage mixer?

coolio

First post to this excellent forum...

I have a passion for cassettes and cassette based studios. I’ve used a 244 for most of my life but I just recently picked up a 688, which is obviously a big step up in complexity. I also have in my possession a refurbished 238 syncaset. (a backup in case the tape section of the 688 ever goes down, plus I believe there is a way to sync it with the 688 to get 16 tracks going...)

My question is as follows. Sometimes I dig the sound of the preamps in the 244, and sometimes I like the sound of the mixer in the 688. If I wanted to record 8 tracks, but retain the sound of the pre’s in my 244, I believe I can simply send the two mix from my 688 through two tracks on the 244 during mixdown, yes?

All of this is really to ask: is buying a vintage mixer like an M30 or M208 to go with the 238 is a waste of money, or no?

Thanks!

Mike

As an ex 688 mixer, I really don’t remember anything about it that rings any bells about any kind of characteristic ‘sound’. It sounded ok, but the eq was normal, the preamps just worked and nothing about it really impressed me other than it being 8 track which it did very well. It sounded like all the other gear of the period. Hiss was pretty low, crosstalk manageable, and a pretty hi-fi sound. At that time I don’t think I thought of it as having a special sound at all? If I heard one operating today, my memory would not suddenly shout out ah, 688. My memory just says they were nice to use.

That’s good to know. I like the option of having a flat, neutral mix (688) and then the characteristic vintage vibe of the 244 preamps. I don’t really see a need to invest in a vintage 8 channel board. I think with the 244 and 688, my bases are covered.

Yep, I concur. Treating the 688 as a ‘neutral’ component seems right. In fact thinking about this topic, I was condidering all the Tascam kit I have owned. I don’t think anything has altered the sound coming in, to going out.

Back