Do I need an external hard drive?

thisisbrianly

Hey guys,

I'm going to start recording on my Dell Inspiron 1100 (2.0 ghz celeron, 384 RAM, 20gb hard drive) through a Mobilepre USB card. I will be using audacity software.

I usually only record one track at a time, no effects.

Would it be safe to just record on one hard drive? I know that running recording software and writing audio on the same HDD gives the drive a workout, but I'd rather spend the $$ on a new mic or better pre-amp.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
If you are running limited tracks, you may get away with it.

As with many other things in life, the only way you'll know is to try it (you can't just pull judgements out of your bum, 'ya gotta experiment and see what happens!). If you get pops or stutters or skips, you'll know that it's time to get a secondary drive.

Personally, I use and external firewire drive with my laptop and it's worth every penny I paid for it.

You shouldn"t have problems.... I record several tracks at a Time (8+) useing a single HD without much problem so you should be OK.....

Cheers

i have a single drive on my dell inspiron e1705 and never have any problems.

having said that... a 20gb drive is small so your going to need to either keep your tracks on a separate drive or burn them to CD/DVD.

prob get flamed rotten for this but evryone recording on to dell computers oh my...
any yes you will be fine recording to you single drive i would think about geting a bigger drive.

Back