Do I need a preamp?

antacid

I've bought a CAD M179 mic and an accompanying power supply. With my previous microphone, a cheapo Peavey mic that required no power supply, I was simply plugging it into the back of my Boss GS-10 and recording the clean signal using the direct/effect option (records the direct clean signal to one side of the stereo, which I can split and use on its own... I can't seem to find a way to record only the clean signal by itself using the GS-10, though.) If I'm running the CAD M179 through the GS-10 in the same manner, is it basically functioning as a preamp, or do I need to buy one?

I'm pretty sure that there is a Mic preamp on that unit but I'm not sure if there is phantom power provided.

No, it doesn't have phantom power. I discovered that when I was researching mics, so I picked up a power supply at that time.

Anyway, I read through the manual and learned how to adjust the microphone gain, which I assume represents the GS-10's mic preamp. So, hopefully, I'll be good to go without a separate preamp.

If you can get a quality external preamp, you can avoid a lot of would be issues. I got my MM-1's to distribute battery life, but they offer a better low end than the preamps that come on my Korg MR-1000. Not to mention a limiter that actually works and rolloff switch on the preamp. And various odd power combos that might one day come in handy if I get those odd mics on those power requirements. And if I need 4 channels of preamps, I can use the korgs and my two MM-1's independently to achieve that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have to ask the question, you already know that you need one. If only for the piece of mind (will do what I need done), you should get one. You might surprise yourself with what you were missing by trying to avoid getting one.

Back