Do I need a Pre amp?

blaminack

Greets! This is my first post here and I am over whelmed by the amount of activty... first my set up...

I am recording using Ableton Live 4, Reason, FLS 6, and M-Powered Protools. I have a M-Audio Firewire 410, and a Beringher Mixer. I have a few Mics, two Dynamic and two Condensors. My mixer and soundcard both have built in pre amps, but my knowledge of using outboard gear is really new to me. I am just recently begining to record vocals, guitar and sax. I have had some nice results, but I am unhappy with my signal to noise ratio... It seems to me that if I have things set right then my signal should be very strong and the noise very low, but it seems as if I have not found that happy setting. With the fact that I am using two differant pre amps already do I really need a hardware Pre Amp to boost the signal or should my current set up configured correctly cover the issue?

Here is a link to a song that I have had the kind of results that I am not quite happy with as far as the noise goes...

http://www.versionist.com/musicitem/10299

I would like to improve this as far as noise goes...

Thanks for any helpful responses...

Blessins!

you don't have to have an external pre amp. Some preamps are better than others. If your getting good results don't worry about it.

If you mean you are using the behringer mixer into your m audio preamp then your are just asking for noise. If you have a preamp in the m audio card that is all you need for your mic. There is no good reason to plug your mic into the behringer mixer and then run it into your m audio.

I had been doing that merely as a convience of keeping the out put from my Bass, Line 6 output from my guitar and Mic hooked up and at hand...

Back