Do I need a normally open or closed momentary switch?

AndrewClaycomb

I've got a Hosa single latching foot switch I'm going to modify to work as a talkback foot switch. I'm going to replace the latching switch with a non latching switch, but I'm not sure if I need a normally open switch or a normally closed switch. I've been using it as-is, but it's pretty annoying if I can't remember if talkback is engaged or not. (I don't have any sort of visual cue, it's just a talkback box inserted between the cue out of my firepod and the headphone amp in my tracking room.)

It uses any regular TS guitar cable (both the talkback unit as well as the switch enclosure), the switch is wired directly to a female 1/4" jack. So it doesn't have any special wiring to consider.

For the sake of adding a pic, here's the footswitch.

41sKmRqGAWL._SS500_.jpg

If you want it to work while pressing on it, normally open. If you want it to cut off when pressing on it, normally closed.

Connect the 1/4" cable to the talkback box but not the footswitch and see if talkback works. If it doesn't, then a normally open switch is what you need to keep talkback off unless you're stepping on the switch.

You also may be able to find a switch that has contacts for both normally open and closed so you can use whichever one is appropriate.

if im reading this right, make sure it is a momentary switch so that
it is only engaged when your foot is on the switch...

Whale bone has a great test, but
wouldn't that be the same as having no cable connected at all?

my guess is a momentary normally open switch.

What I'd do is swap in a switch just like the one that is there, but with an extra set of contacts. Then, I'd use a DC supply and a couple of bulbs in key locations to wire up a talkback warning light above your mixer and your DAW so that if the light is on, you know you need to turn it off before you hit the button. :D

This, of course, is coming from the guy who wired a similar box up for his speakers so that when the speakers are on, there's a warning light so I don't key a mic in the same room. :)

Normally open switch if you want to press and hold to talk. Otherwise you will have to keep your foot on the switch to keep the mic off (using Normally closed).

I have one that is switchable! Can be either normally-open or -closed. I'd recommend you get one of those. It also works as a test-switch, so I can replace it with the right one for the application.

Back