Do I need a mixer?

swollenrod

Ok, back in the day when i had no amp, I plugged my guitar through a korg effects petal into the line in and used my computer as an amp. Now I've been recording analog, but got serious about pc recording about a month ago when we bought a p3 450. I thought well I'll just do what I was doing, except now I'll just be recording using my Korg. That was until I heard that using a effects petal without cabinet emulation would cause noise problems. I'm pretty sure my Korg doesnt have it, so I am wondering if I need a mixer. I was basicly just going to be using the effects petal for amplification and effects, but apparently thats not good enough. If I do need a mixer, what would be a cost effective one that wont take bank from me, or better yet is there a way around this? I've also heard that the line 6 Pod is a great thing to use, but i was reading up on that and it seems my worst enemy, the dreaded MIDI is needed to operate it. Dont ask me why MIDI scares me but it does. Does anyone know if I just misread this, and can I just run it directly into the line in and use it as the "mixer"?

any feedback is appreciated...

thanxz -the swole-

I just got n-track yesterday, so i havent sat down to record yet.

SR,

A mixer can only benefit your recording efforts, especially if you only have a 2 channel sound card (if you haven't changed the one in your new computer, that is more than likely what you have). I don't know that you need one for the reason you think you might though. If you decide to get a mixer, consider the Mackie 1202VLZ; the preamps are really clean, don't color the sound much, and you will use them.

As far as the Korg goes, without cabinet emulation many guitar processors have the tonal quality of a Skilsaw. I think most guitarists would consider this a "noise" problem. But, I don't think it would contribute to any unwanted noise during recording.

If the sound works for you, than use it. If you want something that sounds more like a real mic'd amp, then you should get an amp and mic it or look at the POD again.

Don't let the MIDI capabilities of the POD scare you. It is fully functional without even thinking about MIDI. However, the MIDI allows you to edit many more parameters through windows based software (fx, combining different amp models with different speaker cabinet models, etc...) than you have access to on the unit itself. If you know where the joystick/MIDI port is on your computer, know how to install software, and can point and click a mouse, then you can make full use of the MIDI functions on the POD. Hope this helps.

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 11-10-1999).]

The only reason you would need a mixer is if you are going to record several different sources at once... If it is just you, go with a mic preamp like the ART dual MP...
If you are focusing on guitar I think a Pod is a good way to spend your money... Think of it as a pedal... not a MIDI device...
For the price of a tube preamp and an SM57 you can get a pod and have a better sound... Might even try using it for vocals...

S8-N

Back