Do I need a MIDI controller? and related newbie questions

Bluesyone

I play guitar (and have a bass that I like to use to lay down some lines with) and am a complete amateur. I've played around with some basic multitracking (several years back on a 4-track cassette unit, and more recently with a Cakewalk program) but would still consider myself a beginner with this stuff.
I have an old Alesis SR-16 drum machine but pretty much always used the pre-programmed beats (which can be pretty boring). When I would record the drum machine, it would be in a very limited way, as I would have a constant drumbeat going (ie, no intro, no outro, few fills) while Cakewalk recorded the audio. So, bottom line is I took very little control over it and it wasn't good for a finished product - better for a jam (I would disable the metronome in Cakewalk as it wasn't synching with the drum machine, etc).

Now, I would like to have a feasible (ie, no tremendous learning curve) way to access and manipulate some realistic sounding drums and pull them in nicely with my guitar tracks, bass, and possibly some other synth intruments.
I saw a demo of Steinberg Groove Agent 2, which seemed very easy to play (hit play and you're set) and had great sounds. However, I don't know what is involved in putting together a drum sequence for a song.
I suppose my questions are:

1) Do I need a MIDI controller? I am not a keyboard player, but I gather that these can be used to sequence the drums and also would allow me to access other software-based instruments (such as a brass section perhaps?).

2) If I bought Groove Agent 2 and perhaps Cubase or Sonar (or something mroe modest like n-Track), what is entailed in piecing together a drum track for a song (given that I am inept with drums), and does MIDI then sync up everything for me in creating the track?

3) I've done a bit of searching online for MIDI controllers and frankly have no idea what the major differences are between a $100 controller and a $600 controller. Are the 25-key units very limited (in terms of octaves)?

Thanks for any input!

1) Depends. I probably could not live without one (and I'm a guitar player too). It helps alot to have a hands on device for keying in stuff and sure beats trying to do it with a mouse. There are all sorts of midi controllers out there but I would reccomend one of those basic (2 or 3 octave) multifunction ones. If you cant play keys, then a big huge one wont make a difference since your probabaly not going to be playing with two hands. I like the novation ones alot, excellent programing interface and deep midi implementation. I use it for everything from a fader surface to a guitar pedalboard. The drum pad ones are nice too (Akai MPD-16 is nice and cheap $150)
2) Why buy anything? if you have midi, just plug the SR-16 into calkwalk and get to it! Its not that bad sounding of a drum machine, just make a midi track, select the midi output to be the SR16 and you will be able to sequence your own drums. If you like any of the presets, just record them to calkwalk and edit them in the midi editor to your liking.
3) all midi controllers have octave controls so you can go up or down as you like but midi drums start at C1 usually

Thanks for the feedback (though I'm still confused ;-)... can you please explain what you meant by this:

I use it for everything from a fader surface to a guitar pedalboard.

Also, how easy/difficult is it to create a drum sequence in Cakewalk or Cubase?
And would the MIDI controller allow me to play a variety of software synth instruments?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Groove Agent 1 left me totally unimpressed. To me, its sounds were subpar and its patterns also left me feeling empty. What I do is construct my drum tracks with loops in whatever recording software I am using. To do this, you just enter the tempo of your track in your software from your loops. Professionally recorded loops will be filed by beats per minute, so its a pretty easy task. Turn on GRID mode in your recording software, and everything connects perfectly...as long as your tempo track is set up right.

A midi controller will allow you to play other virtual instruments, such as those by IK Multimedia and Native Instruments. Google those if you want to know more.

I have a 49 key controller, thinking it would be enough. Now that I have incorporated a piano/organ player into my writing group, the full size 88 key would have been nice. 49 keys is enough for an idiot like me, but stinks when you've got someone who can actually play.

Just my thoughts,

Back