do I need a direct box?

mojoshmoe

I'd like to record an electric guitar through my amp without micing it. There is a preamp out on the back of the amp, but I don't want to take the chance of frying anything. Would I be able to go from that output to my mixer or recorder or do I need to throw in a direct box somewhere?

You can hook up the output of your amp to a tape deck yet keeping the gain control on your tape deck low as to avoid clipping. Your ears will have to be the test as to how this will sound . Does the outputs of your amp have some sort of trim ctl? I would'nt advise going into a mixing board direct from the out put of the amp as unwanted signal noise and slight distortion might be accompanied by this amplification. Ah! but wait! Noise is good! these are only opinions
and the final answer can be determined by judging from your own ears if you are satisfied with the sound!

The output is on the back of the amp next to a power amp in jack. It has no trim control. I bought it used, so I don't have the manual.

Most guitar amp outs are used for mostly bi-
amplification needs. I'm assuming that the output is a 1/4" mono plug out hence a need for a Y-adapter cord will be needed to plug direct into a tape deck. this cord should
have a 1/4 phono plug connected to 2 RCA jacks into the tape inputs of your recorder.

If it's a line out then no problem.

If you mean a powered speaker output, Don't !!!!
You must be very carefull !. You must be sure the input that you want to send it to is designed to accept it.

You need a special DI that lets you choose between instrument and Ampliifier as the signal source.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 04-23-2000).]

Hi mojoshmoe, the preamp out is absolutely safe to plug in the line in - it is about the same as a line out. You don't have to use a DI box in this case, but a cheap one will do for reducing some noise.
If you have a speaker out jack then you'll need a DI box that can convert speaker signals to line level. Normally these DI boxes are more expensive but I find that speaker outs sound much better than preamp or line outs.
Anyway, I hate to say this, but I now use a Pod for direct recording without a DI box and it's the way to go!

Back