Do I have potential or should I stop singing forever? lol

Rasheed

Hi I would like your honest opinions! I'm extremely shy when it comes to singing and would like some constructive advice on how to improve or if I have potential at all. I have a friend who's a great singer and he kind of motivated me to start singing a couple months ago but I'm nowhere near his level.

Everyone has potential in a way but I don't like the tone of my voice or the way it sounds so would you please review my singing and give me your honest opinions, be mean if you feel like it (although I'd prefer constructive criticism) lol.

Vocaroo | Voice message

The quality is awful btw, I used my phone to record.

You have to understand Rasheed, it's a bit of a "thing" here. It's nothing personal. We just get lots and lots of "can I sing?" posts, usually poorly recorded on a cell phone without a backing track. People get worn out responding to them.

Do you think you can sing? Just do it.

I see, and I do understand it gets tiresome. My intention wasn't to seem impatient, I just felt super vulnerable leaving my link like that as I'm insecure about my vocal abilities.

Thanks for responding and I'll keep that in mind!

It seems to be exclusive to singers. You never see a thread started by a guitar player. "Can I play", followed by a few minutes of noodling into the phone mic. :D

If as a singer, you need outside confirmation of talent you have or don't have, you've already lost the game.

Just do it, and if you're serious, get some vocal coaching. One can only get better with the proper dedication and training.

Good point!

Although I do not agree with you that you "lose the game" simply because you need confirmation, it just mean you haven't had any training and therefore don't know how to do it. Seems natural to search for approval if you have no prior knowledge on the subject and need to know if you're doing it right, some what right, or just plain wrong.

Thanks for the advice!

Actually you have lost the game. Singers are very upfront and are the center point of the song or band. As such the confidence in one's self is of paramount importance. If Bob Dylan or David Lee Roth sought approval they would have been finished. People would have told them both, "hell no, you can't sing, give it up"

Don't search for approval. That's like applying for a license to be alive. Search for knowledge, techniques, wisdom, etc. But never approval.

:D. Just my opinions.

I am searching for knowledge, techniques, wisdom, etc. That was the whole point of this post. I wanted some assurance that I was at least doing something right, or even if I was doing it completely wrong so that I know how I can further develop.

If you want people's opinion - then sing to a proper track, in your preferred style, with decent quality. Yours is painful to listen to before you start singing - Would you go on a photographers forum and post a blurry photo and ask for comments on your photographical (is that a word?) skills? Same here. Give us some singing and we can comment.

I am searching for knowledge, techniques, wisdom, etc. That was the whole point of this post. I wanted some assurance that I was at least doing something right, or even if I was doing it completely wrong so that I know how I can further develop.

An easy way to find "knowledge, techniques, wisdom" is to go on YouTube and find free voice lessons and do them. Every day (most days). For the rest of your life. The answer to your original question, should I stop singing, is no.

Everyone wants to know "can I do it if I try?" The answer is yes. Everyone wants to know, "would I be wasting my time?" The answer is no. That is, unless you are unwilling to work at it. In that case, give up now.

If you want people's opinion - then sing to a proper track, in your preferred style, with decent quality. Yours is painful to listen to before you start singing - Would you go on a photographers forum and post a blurry photo and ask for comments on your photographical (is that a word?) skills? Same here. Give us some singing and we can comment.

Sorry about the quality, I made a new recording with backtrack which should be decent quality. Check it out if you want.

Vocaroo | Voice message

Ok - well, you need a singing teacher. You're singing right at the back of your throat, which is a strange habit to have gotten into? You diction is odd - is English not your first language? It makes it difficult to understand, and you really need to work on pitching.

Not impossible to fix with good local teacher, but in it's present form, it's well, not that good - sorry.

Ok thanks. I have no idea what singing at the back of the throat means, and no English isn't my first language but I'd say in general that my diction is close to perfect I was just trying to do a Michael Jackson type thing. No need to be sorry, I appreciate your honesty and I've only been singing for a couple months so I'm sure I'll get there.

Thought it was def pitchy. Good tone, most of the time. I think an artist will sound best when they learn the limitations of their own voice and what works for it and what doesn't. Bon Jovi will sound like an idiot singing Nirvana covers. and vice versa. Be real and honest with yourself while writing and singing. If you think there's something you can't do...then practice that. You won't be happy until you feel like you no longer have to ask for singing advice, I'd bet. If everyone here said "yes, your voice is the best i've ever heard", would that change much?

Thought it was def pitchy. Good tone, most of the time. I think an artist will sound best when they learn the limitations of their own voice and what works for it and what doesn't. Bon Jovi will sound like an idiot singing Nirvana covers. and vice versa. Be real and honest with yourself while writing and singing. If you think there's something you can't do...then practice that. You won't be happy until you feel like you no longer have to ask for singing advice, I'd bet. If everyone here said "yes, your voice is the best i've ever heard", would that change much?

Thanks a lot for the constructive criticism! I'm not looking for praise as I'm genuinely worried about the quality or tone of my voice and I'm determined to work on it either way, I was just curious how it sounds to other people as I'm no where near satisfied. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

well then work on what you think needs fixing. I had to do the same, and still am every day. Best thing is to NOT try and sound like someone else...but try and sound the best that YOU can. I spent my first years singing trying to be raspy and growly...little did I realize my natural singing voice gives a little bit of that anyway. You have a good tone. That's more than enough to start. Do some exercises and practice as much as you can. I really think more people can sing than we realize. We all have a particular tone and timbre...and it's getting the best out of it that we can get which is the trick. good luck

well then work on what you think needs fixing. I had to do the same, and still am every day. Best thing is to NOT try and sound like someone else...but try and sound the best that YOU can. I spent my first years singing trying to be raspy and growly...little did I realize my natural singing voice gives a little bit of that anyway. You have a good tone. That's more than enough to start. Do some exercises and practice as much as you can. I really think more people can sing than we realize. We all have a particular tone and timbre...and it's getting the best out of it that we can get which is the trick. good luck

Greatly appeaciated!

I see, and I do understand it gets tiresome. My intention wasn't to seem impatient, I just felt super vulnerable leaving my link like that as I'm insecure about my vocal abilities.
...If it makes you feel better, out of those 74 views, 72 of them were probably bots. If you're lucky (or unlucky), only about 3 actual humans listened to your recording.

For anyone asking the "can I sing"; question, here is my advice;

Go to New York City in the middle of the day, and ask strangers that question. That is, if you can get anyone to stop and listen to you. If you make it through the day, you'll be on your way to developing a good coat of rhino skin.
Then, get a vocal coach. They will be honest with you (for the most part)
They will teach and help develop your talent. Because everyone has the basic ability to sing. Now to sing well, that's a whole different story.

You seem to be OK with basic rhythm, but it's obvious that you lack confidence. You don't like how your voice sounds because you don't hear it as everybody else does. Nobody likes their own voice, when they hear it, so don't worry about that.

But, the sample was very rough and as others have already said it's very difficult to give an opinion on an audio clip like that. Before you spend any money on studio time to record a better sample, you need to look for a professional vocal coach. A coach will help you with any bad habits you have. Trust me, most singers start out with bad habits. A coach can properly evaluate your voice and ultimately give you a better idea on your potential.

You said you were trying to sound like Michael Jackson? Don't. What's most inviting about any voice is the individuality of it...the unique qualities that someone else doesn't have. Down the road, you might try singing in different styles, but you first need to find out what your voice sounds like.

Find a good coach. Keep in mind, just like anything else, there are good coaches and bad coaches. If you find one that doesn't suit you, find another. What you don't want is someone who will be a "yes man" and tell you you have a great voice while taking your money. You need an honest coach, one that will work with you and help you train your voice.

But, that honest coach will also tell you if you have the necessary tools, too. You need to be able to sing on key and in rhythm. Those two things should come naturally. If either one of these is difficult for you, you might not have what it takes. Now, that doesn't mean you should stop singing, it just means a career as a vocalist might not be right for you.

From your sample, I couldn't say whether you have potential or not. And I'm not a vocal coach, so that is just a musician's opinion. You could find the right coach and become a great singer. But, great singers are rare. Work on your pitch. If you can't tell if you're singing the right note or if that note is in tune, that's a big hurdle to get past.

Singing is free. If nothing comes from your work with a coach, you can still get out there and sing. The more you sing, the more confidence you'll gain and you'll become accustomed to hearing your voice. With confidence you'll feel more relaxed and your voice will be more relaxed, too. And you don't have to be a lead singer. You can sing in a group, where your voice isn't so harsh to your own ears. And singing with a group can be very satisfying where singing alone can often be stressful. You can sing in your church choir or maybe some community group.

The thing is, if it makes you feel good to sing, then sing. All of the above is only necessary if you want to build the confidence and the tools necessary to be a great singer. If that's your goal, you'll need a thick skin. Critics can be harsh, very harsh. But, always go back to the main reason that you sing...because you enjoy it.

Back