Do 'Good' mic pre's make a difference, to you?

The problem with people recommending preamps on this site in particular, is that most people have experienced a very limited number of preamps under very limited circumstances.

Especially when you get into a certain level of quality, when the biggest difference between them will be taste and circumstance.

The mid-level preamps will all work fine 98% of the time. Even the cheapest ones will get the job done under most circumstances.

The order in which the equipment affects the sound is this:
1. Instrument and room
2. Mic and the placement
3. Preamp
4. Converter

Now, the instrument and the room will be 80% of the sound. The mic and placement will be 17%. The preamp will probably be 2.5% and the converter 0.5%.

So, if you don't get the instrument and mic right, the preamp and converter can't save you.

With the GREATEST respect Jay, I would put Performer at the top of that list!

Dave. (BTW. Webmaster never came back to me, must give him a poke!)

The reason I didn't count the performer is because I didn't want to get into the type of drugs he is doing and all that... ;)

The other reason not to mention the performer is that it's usually the one thing we can't change. Either it's a person recording himself or (in my case) a person I've been roped into recording. In either case, all you can do is make the rest of the items as good as you can!

i bought one because some mics need the higher clean gain of a nice preamp and just in general they have much less noise. if your mics run fine on budget preamps and you're not hearing noise then don't upgrade.

The other reason not to mention the performer is that it's usually the one thing we can't change. Either it's a person recording himself or (in my case) a person I've been roped into recording. In either case, all you can do is make the rest of the items as good as you can!

I remember a time when that wasn't the case. I remember a producer wanting to replace me on one of our songs (at our own expense), because I wasn't giving it the feel he thought it should have.

I'm pretty sure that my band mates would have sold me out, if the money was there. So you can change the musician, it's just not a popular choice with the guy who thought HE was going to be the musician.

This forum has always had what is by today's standards and situations, the wrong name. I've always understood it to be a forum for people who do things themselves. Excluding studios where being there is an old fashioned job. Some people here clearly make money from their studio, but they use it themselves, and are the ones who eke out their budget small or large to constantly improve the hardware, the software and most importantly, themselves. Some are in their homes, some are in specially built or converted premises.

They record people they want to, not have to. They have choice. Commercial studios don't. Frequently they have to record anything to survive. The old "home studio tag" was used negatively in many cases, like we also used to do with the term "amateur" which always used to mean bad, poor, negative, compared to "professional" which always meant the opposite. Thankfully, that too has changed.

Pretty well everyone here wants to be knowledgable, and produce better music products. Old lags like me still learn new things, and pass on things they do know to others. Home studio owners and users tend to be part of a community. I'd like to think that the quality differences went away years ago.

Topics like this one prove we all have different views and aims. Give me a pile of cash, and I'd spend it on totally different things to people who would spend theirs on pre amps. That's good too!

You just described what I do and feel exactly! :)

Ok! Did not mean selling anyone down the tin pan river! No, just that IF you happen to have J Bream on guitar you are likely to get a better sound than exactly the same setup with the guy from the Dog&Duck even tho' he might be a very decent guitarist. (might not grunt as much tho'but!)

Dave.

Ok! Did not mean selling anyone down the tin pan river! No, just that IF you happen to have J Bream on guitar you are likely to get a better sound than exactly the same setup with the guy from the Dog&Duck even tho' he might be a very decent guitarist. (might not grunt as much tho'but!)

Dave.

You do realize that many people do not know who J Bream is, and definitely not the bar down the street from you right? LOL I agree though. :)

i bought one because some mics need the higher clean gain of a nice preamp and just in general they have much less noise. if your mics run fine on budget preamps and you're not hearing noise then don't upgrade.

Yeah, I have an audient ASP008. At middling levels it doesn't sound extraordinary or anything, but unlike other preamps I've had, you can crank it almost all the way up and there is still very little hiss.

Last edited:
On a single instance basis the difference in a $200 clean pre and a $2000 clean pre is usually pretty negligible. When you start stacking tracks, that is when you see the value of an expensive pre. Also, we need to remember that when it comes to design, any engineer can get you 98% there. It costs exponentially more to extract the last little bits out of any system. It will cost 10 times more to reach the next 1% of performance and 100 times more to get the last .9%. You never get the last .1%, that's the devils cut.

On a single instance basis the difference in a $200 clean pre and a $2000 clean pre is usually pretty negligible. When you start stacking tracks, that is when you see the value of an expensive pre. Also, we need to remember that when it comes to design, any engineer can get you 98% there. It costs exponentially more to extract the last little bits out of any system. It will cost 10 times more to reach the next 1% of performance and 100 times more to get the last .9%. You never get the last .1%, that's the devils cut.

Yes, heard this "stacking" argument before and about other components. Never seen/heard any kind of evidence for it nor any attempt to come up with a mechanism.

The "Law of Diminishing Returns" has been spoken of in audio circles for more than 5 decades to my knowledge, just more unsupportable waffle IMHO. The diminished 1% is never defined.

Dave.

Hmmmm...partial agreement here. Using "okay" pre amps in any decent interface or mixer, I've never noticed a stacking effect either. The noise floor is low enough that you'd have to put an awful lot of different tracks together for it to become audible. Add to this the fact that I tend to use different mics (and therefore different level settings on the pre amp) as I move through the session, that also mitigates against a problem of stacking.

I do sort of agree with the law of diminishing returns though. A $200 microphone is going to be vastly better than a $20 one you found on eBay. A $400 mic is probably audibly better than the $200 one. Beyond that, it gets more fuzzy. I couldn't argue that a $2000 mic is measurably better than the $400 one...or maybe even the $200 one. By this stage we're getting into subtle differences that are quite likely made null and void by problems with the acoustic space, mic placement or mic technique by the artist.

Note that I talked about microphones. The same applies even more to microphone pre amps. You don't have to go far up market in terms of interfaces or mixers to find a unit that have a flat frequency response and enough clean gain even for low output dynamics. Beyond that, you're not necessarily paying for measurably "better" quality. You're paying for little colorations that sound better to your ear--and everyone's taste is different. If the $2000 pre amp gives you a sound you like (and you can afford it without starving the family) then go for it. However, you're probably paying for "different" rather than "better".

Hmmmm...partial agreement here. Using "okay" pre amps in any decent interface or mixer, I've never noticed a stacking effect either. The noise floor is low enough that you'd have to put an awful lot of different tracks together for it to become audible. Add to this the fact that I tend to use different mics (and therefore different level settings on the pre amp) as I move through the session, that also mitigates against a problem of stacking.

I do sort of agree with the law of diminishing returns though. A $200 microphone is going to be vastly better than a $20 one you found on eBay. A $400 mic is probably audibly better than the $200 one. Beyond that, it gets more fuzzy. I couldn't argue that a $2000 mic is measurably better than the $400 one...or maybe even the $200 one. By this stage we're getting into subtle differences that are quite likely made null and void by problems with the acoustic space, mic placement or mic technique by the artist.

Note that I talked about microphones. The same applies even more to microphone pre amps. You don't have to go far up market in terms of interfaces or mixers to find a unit that have a flat frequency response and enough clean gain even for low output dynamics. Beyond that, you're not necessarily paying for measurably "better" quality. You're paying for little colorations that sound better to your ear

Err?....Yes!

Dave.

I think that argument started with mics, and it was incorrectly called "stacking". Like when you record every instrument with a 57.

However, in that instance, I don't think it is stacking as much as the mic (or the mics response) can be looked at as a filter. So if everything is recorded with that mic, everything will have that same filter on it.

The same thing would happen with preamps that have a sound to them. That sound isn't stacking, it's just the filter that everything is run through.

I still say...we don't know what we don't know.

Way too many opinions based on hearing other people's opinions that are based on something they read on the internet, written by some guy who based his opinion on something he heard on another audio forum. :D

Not "gear shaming" here...but too many folks on home rec forums only know/experience a single mic, maybe two...and just the pre that came with their low budget interface, and after that, just lots of plugs.
Some of those same people give out tons of opinions on gear they've never used and on recording situation they've never been in.
It's mostly internet learned knowledge and virtual experience.

Accuracy and lack of noise and distortion are essential in the storage and transmission of audio, but the generation and manipulation of audio benefits from certain types of inaccuracy. Once basic frequency response, distortion and noise performance is up to adequate levels what you get from expensive gear is subjective improvement, sound quality that is just more pleasant to most people and/or especially flattering on certain sources. Technically gear like that is less accurate but the inaccuracies are consistent, predictable and useful.

I still say...we don't know what we don't know.

Way too many opinions based on hearing other people's opinions that are based on something they read on the internet, written by some guy who based his opinion on something he heard on another audio forum. :D

Not "gear shaming" here...but too many folks on home rec forums only know/experience a single mic, maybe two...and just the pre that came with their low budget interface, and after that, just lots of plugs.
Some of those same people give out tons of opinions on gear they've never used and on recording situation they've never been in.
It's mostly internet learned knowledge and virtual experience.

Boom. Truthbomb.

Hmmmm...partial agreement here. Using "okay" pre amps in any decent interface or mixer, I've never noticed a stacking effect either. The noise floor is low enough that you'd have to put an awful lot of different tracks together for it to become audible.

Wouldn't something like that be relatively easy to test? True or false, somebody has probably tested it. I am not finding results in a quick internet search though.

Regarding "stacking", if a preamp has a 2dB bump at 1kHz and you record 16 tracks through it then mix them together the end result will be a mix with a 2dB bump at 1kHz, which you can correct with a 2dB cut at 1kHz. Ideally that cut would be the first thing applied to each track, but you could do it on the master bus. The only difference would be the way dynamics processors work, and that would be a minimal difference with a 2dB bump at 1kHz.

Noise can add up but really only the track or tracks with the loudest noise contribute noticeably.

When I started out I had a Tascam Mixer. I thought I was doing pretty good until I got a new Symetrix preamp; the difference was pretty amazing. So I recorded everything one track at a time and the mixes sounded much better because the source was better. Over the years I worked my way up to Sytek and Focusrite ISA pres with increasingly better results. Now I have some Trident 70 series strips racked up, several API and Neve clone strips and some boutique pres like a Grace 101. With each step up the chain my mixes got progressively cleaner, more refined and fuller with more "air". I still have some Symetrix and TL Audio pres in a rack that I do some mobile work with and the difference is astounding. A single track can sound pretty good but when you start to "stack" them up in a mix it just gets muddy and thin and gross. I don't know how else to describe it other than when you "stack" a bunch of tracks recorded through the Grace they sound amazing and when the same type of thing is recorded through the cheapies it sounds like amatuer hour. I have found that a bunch of cheap pres of differing makes and models suffers from this effect less than if it was all recorded through one brand of cheap preamp.

Back