Do FREE mp3's affect CD sales – ANY THOUGHTS???

Do FREE mp3's affect CD sales???

• YES (There's no way I'd buy a CD if I have the tracks as free mp3's)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • NO (I would still buy a better sound quality, real CD even though I may have the mp3's)

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • MAYBE (I like a good cover, so might still buy a real CD if I like the artist enough)

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters
I allow all my songs for streaming, but no downloads for the song on my CD. That way, people can still listen to my music all they want on my site, but have to buy the CD if they want to keep it...plus, there's a big difference between a 96kps streaming file and a CD....better quality.

RAMI said:
I allow all my songs for streaming, but no downloads for the song on my CD. That way, people can still listen to my music all they want on my site, but have to buy the CD if they want to keep it...plus, there's a big difference between a 96kps streaming file and a CD....better quality.

That does not guarantee that people won't have your music. Record from Line in on a regular PC, to any cheap program, and you got it.

Is there really any difference whether the folks out there listen to radio or to mp3s? The result is the same -- free music! Since small independent artists don't get much radio play, mp3s are the alternative. The big name artists at the major labels do get radio play. They don't need mp3s circulating and it may well hurt their sales. Too bad.

And yes, I know that there are some fees paid by radio broadcasters and some of that money may actually find its way to the artists and writers. But being on radio is mainly free advertising (disregarding payola, of course), not a way to make money. For me, mp3s are my free advertising.

Mindset said:
That does not guarantee that people won't have your music. Record from Line in on a regular PC, to any cheap program, and you got it.
If someone wants my music that bad, and still can't afford to download it, they're welcome to have it.

Here's what I think works best: offer a handful of your songs for free download on your website IF the vistor agrees to give you their email address in return. Then, a week after they've downloaded the songs, email them and ask if they'd like to buy the album. Sure, allot of people won't, but who cares, the downloads cost you nothing. But some will buy if the songs you give away are good.

The hard part, really, is getting people to visit your site in the first place.

Back