Do audio interfaces have any effect on CPU load?

tobypearce

Hi there,

Simple question, I hope! (Aren't they all?)

Do different soundcards have any effect on cpu?

I make music entirely in the box: I use soft synths and don't need analogue inputs. What I do care about is audio quality, very much.

There seem two different types of kit, with companies selling DACs for hifi listening (Arcam, Chord, Fio, Audioquest etc), and very different ones making ones for music production (Focusrite, Roland, Audient etc).

Other than the lack of inputs, is there any difference between these two types in terms of music production?

In terms of value, it seems a waste to have a piece of kit with dedicated ADCs if all one needs is the DAC. At a given price point, the DAC component (and ultimate sound quality) would presumably be lesser if a manufacturer needs to include ADCs as well.

If one doesn't need inputs and the ADC aspect, is there still any reason to prefer an audio interface from the likes of Focusrite, Audient, Apogee?

Mostly it's the drivers that will affect your CPU load.
The music production focussed interfaces are much more likely to have good core audio or asio drivers, so you should be able to get lower latency and lower CPU load with those.
Not to say you can't get good performance from the hi-fi ones though, but for what they are they are often quite expensive and usually no 'better' than a studio interface. Marketing.

I think to some extent the idea that your converters are going to be a limitation to how things sound (beyond a certain level) is a myth propogated to sell high end gear. There are differences between converters, but they are nearly always not as big as they are made out to be and in a home studio/production environment there are a huge number of factors that will make a bigger difference to 'sound quality'.

Even lower end studio interfaces tend to have quite good DACs, and investing in properly treating your room, getting appropriately set up monitoring and training your ears is almost certainly going to make a much more of a difference.

I suppose if you never had any need for an external sample whatsoever, you would not need an audio interface (with inputs). But unless the difference is STEEP, and I have never seen anything in specifications to indicate that it is, there's no point in not having the flexibility if you should ever want it.

I used a Yamaha sound card and soundfonts for years making instrumental music. But I always wanted the ability to record vocals. So in the long run, the studio style interface became a necessity.

OTOH, if you need simple external samples, you could use a Tascam or Zoom field recorder to get the sound and then transfer to your hard disc...there's no simple, single way of making music. Finding what works for you is a journey. This excellent question is but the first of many steps.

:D Happy Recording :D

Do different soundcards have any effect on cpu?

I'm on my 3rd interface in as many years (finally settling on the Scarlett 2i2). There were no differences in CPU usage between the three, it's all DAW and plugins. I do line-in instruments/mics on the interface and usb midi.

The quality of the DACs in the interfaces is really good. I couldn't see spending money on dedicated converters, not at this level of production ("home").

What exactly are you looking for suggestions on? Are you looking for a decent playback only device ("no inputs")? Any sound card can give you that, and many Creative cards (X-fi) play well with ASIO4All [YMMV, I would research exactly which ones and what operating system, etc]. It's when you need to record along with playing back that latency and the benefits of a true audio interface are realized.

Most interfaces do their own processing and just pass the data to the computer...so not much effect on the computer's CPU load.

What is the ultimate quality of the digitally generated synth sound?

Not ultimately as high I would aver as a complex acoustic source? What I am saying is, if people are happy with the AD/DA quality of REAL SOUNDS through the likes of Focusrite, NI, Presonus et.al. then the less complex digital sounds are surely ok?

So, bottom line. You COULD get a Benchmark DAC or a Lavry but on synths I doubt you could tell one from any of the above! Fork! I bet a Berry UCA 202 would give you pause.

Dave.

I think you posted in the wrong thread. :)

?? The guy asked if it is better to buy just a DAC as he thinks a greater proportion of the money will go into higher quality rather than it be spread over two converters?

Yes the title is about CPU usage but I think that was put to bed. I am not qualified to say but I don't think AIs tax modern PCs worth mentioning? It is the DAW and the plugins that munch CPU.

But then it is ENTIRELY possible I am just rambling and got off the path!
Dave.

Back