!DMP3 Technical Problem!

acoustic84

Last Saturday I finally got the chance to record somebody besides myself. I was so excited! Well, I recorded 5 songs from his acoustic guitar, and then he wanted to record his jumbae. So I took the microphones off that I was using on the guitar(hm-1's), and thought I'd try the b-1 on it. When I monitored it it was clipping and making a horrible sound. So I tried it in the other channel and the same thing happened. So then I completely disconnected the xlr cable and the sound was still there so obviously it's the preamp. So what have I done, and can it be fixed? Any help is appreciated. Im desperate to get it fixed soon so I can resume his recordings.

acoustic84 said:
Last Saturday I finally got the chance to record somebody besides myself. I was so excited! Well, I recorded 5 songs from his acoustic guitar, and then he wanted to record his jumbae. So I took the microphones off that I was using on the guitar(hm-1's), and thought I'd try the b-1 on it. When I monitored it it was clipping and making a horrible sound. So I tried it in the other channel and the same thing happened. So then I completely disconnected the xlr cable and the sound was still there so obviously it's the preamp. So what have I done, and can it be fixed? Any help is appreciated. Im desperate to get it fixed soon so I can resume his recordings.
If you unplugged it, and let it sit for a while, and it still does it, it could be fried. Bummer if that's the case. Does it make noise all the time now? I don't have any fixes, so can't really help. Hope something works out man. :(

Do you have a bad cord from the pre to the computer? Or at least out of the pre? That could cause nasty noise. Hope this helps.

First check with M Audio, especially if it's still under warranty. After that, take it to a qualified tech and have him take a look (estimates *should* be free). Third...and I'm sorry...it's spelled Djembe...

Jacob

I figured I spelled that wrong... When it screwed up I opened it up and let it cool all night. I tried several cables so Im pretty sure its not them. The right channel seems to work fine now, its the left channel thats screwed up. the lights a little dimmer on it where the vu is. Seeing as I got it on ebay I have no warranty for it. Ive had it for a while now and it was working just fine. It does say to use balanced line cables but I have used an unbalanced cable when using 2 mics since my other balanced cable broke. I hope that didnt screw it up, if so, then thats all my fault i guess.

acoustic84 said:
It does say to use balanced line cables but I have used an unbalanced cable when using 2 mics since my other balanced cable broke. I hope that didnt screw it up, if so, then thats all my fault i guess.
No that wouldn't cause a fault with the preamp. Have you examined all the components on the boards, internal wiring etc?

I'd bet it's something simple and cheap to sort but of course troubleshooting the problem is the tricky bit.

Do you know any techs?

Nope, I dont know any techs, but Ive noticed theres a guy that post quite a bit on here that has a studio in mansfield, which isnt to far from me. Maybe I could try to get him to look at it. I live in the D/Fw area by the way. I think its something simple too since the other channel works fine and I havent abused it at all. Maybe somethings out of place inside.

No warranty

Here's the ghetto engineer's fix:

1) Disconnect the power cord and wait 5 minutes for the capacitors to bleed dry.

2) Open it up

3) Check for loose connector/knob connections. Sometimes it's that simple. Knobs and connectors stick out of the unit, so they are the first to go if the unit gets jostled around.

4) Check for burned components. Replace them and any capacitors surround it.

5) Check for loose solder joints by eye. If you don't see any, power it up and *gently* tap different components with a pencil eraser until you hear a crackle in the audio output. There it is. :D If you see smoke during this step, quit. If you see a loose solder joint, power down again & fire up your iron and reflow the solder.

6) If none of that works put it in the closet until you find a local electronics guru. Be sure to post schematics for everyone if you get them! :p

Wear glasses (at least) when you power it up without the case on. Yes, capacitors can explode like popcorn under the wrong voltage conditions.

Don't touch a mains and the case at the same time or someone will be sending a letter to your mama.

Back