Dmp3 owners still finding uses after upgrades ?

funckyfinger

I'm selling some gear to buy an FMR RNP.Do think I'll still find a need for DMP3 after I buy the RNP or should that be an item to sell to purchase the RNP ?

Sorry about another pre question. :o

If you have additional inputs and want to use them then I'd keep it. If all you need is 2 pre's then sell it.

If you have additional inputs and want to use them then I'd keep it. If all you need is 2 pre's then sell it.

That was pretty much my thoughts as well. Just needed a second opinion.Thanks.

my answer depends on how much you're selling the dmp3 for
Sorry but it will go to ebay. People are crazy there. I've had used items sell for the same price as new. :confused: Great for sellers. :)

I sold mine because I now have more channels of pres than I'll realistically need and they're all superior to the DMP-3. To be honest I probably would have kept it if it was rack mountable but I record in very cramped conditions and standalone boxes sitting around are a PITA.

For what it costs though the DMP-3 is great.

I love mine, but I don't have anything better, so I can't really answer that. I have a feeling that I'll get rid of it eventually because of it's unrackmountabilityness.

funckyfinger said:
I'm selling some gear to buy an FMR RNP.Do think I'll still find a need for DMP3 after I buy the RNP or should that be an item to sell to purchase the RNP ?

Sorry about another pre question. :o

From the clips I've heard, the DMP3 sounds better on acou guit. There was a thread a few years ago, a lot of people offered opinions, and more people picked the DMP3 than the RNP for acou guit. In another thread, most picked the RNP over the DMP3 on bass. I realize that was only a single comparison, but it cured me of my RNP lust, and I immediately went out and bought a DMP3.

I have compared the DMP3 to a Meek VC1Qcs and a Sebatron vmp2 on acou guit. For solo fingerstyle I still usually choose the DMP3. It's that good for acou guit. IMO, for my purposes, the RNP would not be an upgrade. Your situation and tastes, of course, may differ. I wouldn't sell the DMP3 until I had compared it side-by-side to the RNP, though.

you had to give me that idea...now i want to sell some pres to get the rnp too. i'm thinking of letting go of my 12ay7 and vtb-1, i don't like all those numbers in there. ;)

Well after much more reading I decided to hold off on the RNP.I'll save a bit more and do more research. I thought about the DAV BG-1 but a big issue for me is not having a dealer in the states. I like knowing that service is not far away if needed.To bad cause it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
I sold mine because I now have more channels of pres than I'll realistically need and they're all superior to the DMP-3. To be honest I probably would have kept it if it was rack mountable but I record in very cramped conditions and standalone boxes sitting around are a PITA.

For what it costs though the DMP-3 is great.
I only have the DMP3 and a Presonus single pre...like em both, and won't get rid of the DMP3 as of yet.

What did you get Kevin? I'm looking for more inputs as I just got drums.

Dogman said:
What did you get Kevin? I'm looking for more inputs as I just got drums.
I got a soldering iron. :D

I built 2 channels of green pre first (simple IC opamp, not dissimilar in sound to the DMP-3), then a 2 channel Gyraf G9 ('proper' full plate voltage tube pre), and I just finished a 4 channel JLM baby animal a week or so ago. The JLM's are really sweet and a cinch to build, more build by numbers than DIY but still good fun.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
I got a soldering iron. :D

I built 2 channels of green pre first (simple IC opamp, not dissimilar in sound to the DMP-3), then a 2 channel Gyraf G9 ('proper' full plate voltage tube pre), and I just finished a 4 channel JLM baby animal a week or so ago. The JLM's are really sweet and a cinch to build, more build by numbers than DIY but still good fun.
Sounds cool...thanks man.

And I figure I'll keep my DMP3 even when I get other gear. The DMP3 is great on stuff...my acoustic tracks sound exactly as shitty as what I play.... :D

It captures the sounds pretty cleanly, so for 2 channels, it will still be a must for me.

My first pres were Symetrix SX-202s. I've since acquired another 14 channels of quality pres. I've still got 4 channels of the Symetrix and have kept them because:

1. I'm not gonna get much for them if I sell them.
2. They are still pretty decent pres and entirely usable (like the DMP-3).
3. You never seem to have enough channels when someone wants to mic up some drums.
4. A friend always seems to need a couple more channels for a project and I'm not as keen on lending out the Millennias or the APIs.

Dogman said:
Sounds cool...thanks man.

And I figure I'll keep my DMP3 even when I get other gear. The DMP3 is great on stuff...my acoustic tracks sound exactly as shitty as what I play.... :D

It captures the sounds pretty cleanly, so for 2 channels, it will still be a must for me.
Yeah, like I said I probably would have hung onto it if it wasn't taking up space on my desk. It's a great pre for the price.

Back