DMP3 for $119, MC012 for $67

tdukex

Man of the Muse
Well, I go into GC (San Marcos, CA) Friday afternoon with a copy of the following thread:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=85764

and I tell the salesman my wife said I could spend $200 and "not a penny more". I show him still4given's post about a DMP3 for $119. Then I say I want an Oktava MC012 also, and I want it all to cost $200.

He doesn't flinch, tinkers away on the computer for several minutes (while I stare at the ceiling and whistle--wondering how much I'm going to have to haggle with him), and then he says, "We can do that."

Then, pushing my luck, I asked if I could take two Oktavas, take them home to try out (QC reasons), and return the one I didn't want. At that suggestion he made a face like someone might do if they picked you up hitchhiking--intending only to take you to the next town, but as soon as you're in the car you begin trying to persuade them into taking you as far as the next state.

But then he said, "Ok."

So the deal worked out like this:
M-Audio DMP-3 = $119.00
Oktava MC-012 = $66.61

Subtotal = $185.61
CA Tax = $14.38

Total = $199.99

So if you've been planning on one of these units, do what I did: take this thread and the thread above with you into GC and insist on these prices. Memorialize the weekend with a great gear purchase.:D

Ah, Australia is expensive. That is a bummer. But it is a very cool country that I hope to visit some day.

BrettMckinney said:
Yeah australia is pretty good. I'm hoping to go to America for a trip soon. Gotta save though. YOur women are hotter!
From a european perspective... I have to disagree. When I look at all the aussie and american series that we have on tv, I prefer the australian women!

tdukex ,

Good snag, I got one of the the DMP3s from GC for $113 awhile back but you got me on the MC-012. I paid $99 for mine.

Middleman said:
tdukex ,

Good snag, I got one of the the DMP3s from GC for $113 awhile back but you got me on the MC-012. I paid $99 for mine.

I tried the DMP3 out last night on shakers, a small drum, vox, and acoustic guitar. I didn't compare it to the Meek VC1Q, but it is not as bright sounding as my Behringer mixer. I did notice that with the exact same mics and placement the DMP3 produced better stereo seperation than the Behringer. One disappointment, Channel B requires more gain to produce the same dB level, although both channels sound identical to my ears.

Also, I compared the MC012 to my MXL603s and, at least during this comparison, they sounded almost identical on acoustic guitar (as one of our more notable BBS members has said). Perhaps with more experience I will notice some subtle differences with mic placement changes. But I wanted them to sound similar anyway. In the future I may purchase an omni cap and one of the LOMO heads if TJ at the Soundroom says they will work with the GC preamp body.

I don't know if it is true in other places, but I find it very difficult to put a descriptive label on American women. They are as varied in looks and behavior as the land itself.

Then, pushing my luck, I asked if I could take two Oktavas, take them home to try out (QC reasons), and return the one I didn't want
i'm surprised he said yes. he must be new... i cause i know they don't allow returns on microphones.

so.... i know that this thread is about 2 weeks old.... i assume when you tried to return it, they gave you shit.... and might have let you only after you complained to the manager that your salesperson promised you.

Orpheus said:
i'm surprised he said yes. he must be new... i cause i know they don't allow returns on microphones.
At my local GC, they don't allow returns on "vocal" microphones (LDCs), but as long as it's considered an "instrument" mic (SDCs), you can return it.

tdukex,

Could you compare the DMP3 to the Meek, as I have a VCQ1. Make sure that the EQ and comp are bypassed!

Cheers

christiaan said:
From a european perspective... I have to disagree. When I look at all the aussie and american series that we have on tv, I prefer the australian women!

Ah, the proverbial "grass" is always greener ;)

At my local GC, they don't allow returns on "vocal" microphones (LDCs), but as long as it's considered an "instrument" mic (SDCs), you can return it.
oh, okay. thanks for clarifying.

Orpheus said:

so.... i know that this thread is about 2 weeks old.... i assume when you tried to return it, they gave you shit.... and might have let you only after you complained to the manager that your salesperson promised you.

Actually, the guy has been there for at least a couple of years. He wrote on the receipt that I would be returning one. The guy I returned it to did begin to pout a little, but I'm sure he eventually go over it.:D

Mr Funk said:
tdukex,

Could you compare the DMP3 to the Meek, as I have a VCQ1. Make sure that the EQ and comp are bypassed!

Cheers

I'll be recording some scratch vocals for a song demo this weekend (I think) and an acoustic guitar piece in the next couple of weeks. I'll post my unprofessional opinion afterwards.

I have compared the VC1Q to my Behringer 802 mixer. For voice, it is not a fair comparison. The Meek's warmth and color (compressor) make it a great vox box, which is what I bought it for. The Behringer is brite and brittle in comparison--not complimentary on my voice. Of course nothing really is.:D

I also compared the DMP3 to the Behringer on acoustic guitar. The brightness/brittleness of the Behringer can actually compliment certain acoustics, but your mic position better be perfect or the highs can be very harsh. The DMP3 is warmer, smoother, and very pleasing. And for a reason I can't explain, when micing in stereo (XY config) the DMP3 tracks displayed much better stereo seperation when panned hard left and right during playback.

Back