DMA and direct bus mastering

Cakey2

I was going to post this in the 'Help! CD burner problems' thread but the I thought it might be better here.

Recently I had to go back to using my Celery 333 after about 4 months on an athlon 600 (because I bought a non-athlon compatible card (aark 20/20)). After I swapped everything over, I experienced a big drop in performance (as I guess you'd expect). The main problem was a much higher hard drive overhead (measured in cakewalp 9). This basically meant I couldn't play back any songs I'd recorded with the athlon (too many tracks), and I was beginning to get peeved.

But yesterday I read an article in Sound on Sound magazine which said something like 'you need direct bus mastering to get best performance from your audio pc. Windows (for some reason) does not enable it by default'.

This got me thinking. I've never enabled it by hand, but my athlon mobo did it automatically! So I followed the instructions in the artical, enabled bus mastering, and things run so much smoother now, it's incredible! I can't believe I missed this for so long!

Anyway, if any out there aren't sure, it's worth checking to see if bus mastering is enabled/supported on your pc. Do it by going to windows system properties, opening device manager, opening 'disk drives', then double click on each eide hard drive in turn and clicking the DMA checkbox in the settings tab.

If everyone knows about this already, and I've just been slow to catch up, I apologise.

Be lucky,

matt

Back