Dm24

mastahnke

Linux Man...
How many people on this board have a DM-24? I am curious because this forum gets little attention. I know the tascam ones get a lot of hits, but the questions are not always that great, and for some reason I just don't like it quite as much as these.

So yeah, who's got a DM-24?

--mike

No, I don't own one but I am looking.

I am currently recording to a Roland VSR-880 from a Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer....analog to digital and back again for mixing to a Tascam CDRW.

I'm thinking about getting the Alesis HD24 and running it with either the DM-24 (digital) or the Mackie 24-8 (analog). so.....a few questions.

The DM-24 has one set of ADAT ports.....is this good for only eight Channels? The HD24 has three sets of ADAT ports so I assume they are for eight each.

If I can get all 24 tracks connected from the DM-24 to the HD24, will the machine conrtrol work so I can control the hard disk recorder from the mixer on all 24 tracks? In other words, will a Tascam mixer control an Alesis recorder?

I'm wondering if spending that much money is really worth the upgrade.

Thanks and regards.

Tulago said:
The DM-24 has one set of ADAT ports.....is this good for only eight Channels?

Yes
Originally posted by Tulago
If I can get all 24 tracks connected from the DM-24 to the HD24, will the machine conrtrol work so I can control the hard disk recorder from the mixer on all 24 tracks? In other words, will a Tascam mixer control an Alesis recorder?

Don't know for sure

Check this out:
http://www.tascam.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6

Good luck
Henry

I've got one hooked up to my PC with a Mixtreme.

My power supply died yesterday, but a new one should be here soon. This kind of ticked me off since this is the second time I've been left stranded because of it. The first time was just a simple OS upgrade that didn't work.

And another pair of aux sends/returns would be nice.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

Tascam DM-24.

Think about this if you have'nt previously. What do you get with a Mackie D8B. I/O? How about 12 XLR with mic pres, how does that sound? Pretty good for what, $11,000.00? You can monitor 24 tracks simultaneus yes, but no room for external effects. So, you can take full advantage of the HD24's 24 tracks minus the aforementioned effects.

Here enters the DM24...ehem...two, I say 2 DM24's actually. Cascaded with 2 optional cascade cards. You can record and monitor all 24 tracks plus have 8 channels left over to use as effects returns. You also get as a bonus, 32 XLR inputs blah blah blah with mic pres. Here is the scary part, I walked out of my local gear shop with my DM-24 single unit for $2099.00. So that would be $4198.00 according to my antiquated math. Add to that the price of the HD24 and you can figure out the rest.

Advantage, you can buy one DM-24, pretty much use the HD24 as a 16 track as I do in my configuration (I only have one DM-24 currently) while actually having less tracks in reality (I use 4 channels as effects returns leaving me with 12). Buying another DM-24 down the road gives me full power Scotty with a little breathing room to spare. I love I/O.

Also, the jog wheel is useless on the DM24 when used with the HD24...the Fforward and Reverse also don't work on DM24 with HD24. All this works on the HD however includeing scrub as you already most likely know.

limited

int said:
I've got one hooked up to my PC with a Mixtreme.

My power supply died yesterday, but a new one should be here soon. This kind of ticked me off since this is the second time I've been left stranded because of it. The first time was just a simple OS upgrade that didn't work.

And another pair of aux sends/returns would be nice.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

How do you like the Mixtreme??
It was my first choice for the DM24 but the salesman adviced me to take the Motu 2408 Mk3 so I did. But I,m not convinced it is the best for the DM. I hear the RME cards doing better for windows while the Motu's better for Mac users. How about Mixtreme?
Does anyone know or have experience with the Sek'd http://www.sound-music.com/sekd/prodift2496.htm
Or the Digital Audio Labs http://www.midi-classics.com/p17013.htm ??
These latest two have built in DTRS and I wonder if it is of any use in combination with the DM24.

Thanks
Henry

BTW. good point Limited

Last edited:
FanTC® said:
How do you like the Mixtreme??

I love it. It's was tough to figure out the routing at first, but once you figure it out it's pretty easy. Between the Mixtreme, Nuendo, and the DM-24, I have far to many routing options. Templates are my best friend.

And the built in EQ sounds great, really clean and accurate...just don't drive it too hard. I don't use any of the available effects though.

I had one problem, where channels 10-14 were out. I sent it in and they were able to get sound out of 10-14, but not 9, 15, or 16. It was weird, but Soundscape replaced the second TDIF port and sent it back. Other than that, it never crashes or holds me back at any point. In fact If I can find a good price on a used one I'll add a second. It works and works well, sounds good, and although it's a little difficult to figure out, in the end it's worth it.

I'd be interested in hearing what you don't like about the 2408 though, as I'm looking at getting one for another machine.

I've had some problems getting the Motu to work properly. My first problem was that it caused a heavy processor load for about a minute and it made my system unstable. I found out that I could minimize this by disabeling th S.M.A.R.T function on my Raid. It still has a heavy load but only for about two seconds now. Therefore I can't switch from one configuration to another as easily as Motu mentions in the manual. I really don't know if this problem has to do with my motherboard. If I have time I will try it on my other system. For now I have to be carefull when recording and leave the settings as they are.
Another problem is that I can't turn off my DM if the Motu's still on. Other people have that same experience and tell me it'll do no harm to my system.
The 2408 performs exelent with ASIO but not so well on MME based software.
The good things about the 2408 is: 24Bit/96kHz, 24 channel TDif, 24 channel ADAT, DSP Mixing, 8 analog in/out, Word clock, SMPTE, SPdif.
Maybe the Motu performs better on another Mobo, I don't know yet.

Bye
Henry

NEWS NEWS!!!!

The new Tascam DM-24 software has been tested and will be released very soon. The ver. 2.03 will be updated to V 2.1. All known issues have been solved and a few new functions have been added.

Anybody using the DM-24 with the HD24 from Alesis? I have some transport control, but it isn't great yet. I am using the template off of the webiste.

When I arm a track it also arms the track +16, so

arm 1 also arms 17, annoying when you don't want to record there

Additional, only play/stop and record work. No ff or rew. Anybody having better luck?

On the arming issue:

I don't have the Alesis, but I did get it working in Nuendo. I had to change the settings on the PC so Nuendo was "listening" to a specific midi channel. I then had to set the DM-24 to output the track arming signals that corresponded to Nuendo's.

I don't know if the Alesis is the same, but if this helps...

DM24 & 2408 MKII, DP3 & Pro-Tools

I have DM24, I used to use it with a MACKIE MDR 24/96, and it was superb together along with a MOTU 2408MKII, the combination was imesurable. But with HD recorders not getting as big as I (thought they would) I sold my MDR (Alesis HDR, Mackie MDR, HDR, Tascam MX2424--- all the same thing)

So now I just record directly into my MAC, which exactly does the same thing as a MDR, Alesis HDR or Tascam for that matter, still with great DA/AD conversion with the MOTU 2408MKII & DM24 connected via 24 tracks.

now the DM24

Sweet board, it's the best investment I ever made, I've used the D8B's, Ghost and DA7's but it something about this board, that's sturdy, realiable and built like a tank with upgradability.
Automation, Efx, Compressors, Mic Pre (I use and external one, but they are good) MMC with DP3 & Pro-Tools (this would be the same thing on a HD recorder, except it's on my computer)

the DM24 is good board, I'm the bashing the others but for the price and quality that you get, it's pretty amazing.:D :D :D

I too am a DM24 user. Glad to find this forum!

BTW< I also have a Motu 2408MKII, but am having major issues getting it to work on my AMD Athlon 2400+ system running XP. Any hints?

Thanks!

Fraser

I have a DM-24. It's got pretty good sound. Now that it's clocked to a Big Ben, it's got excellent sound. The manual sucks for the DM-24. That's the biggest pitfall.

Back