DM24 issue

cjs2k

I picked up a DM24 used a couple of years ago and it has worked fine up until now. It does absolutely nothing on power-up, so I am going to look for a power supply problem first. I picked up a service manual on Ebay (will share PDF) and found a number of fuses on the PSU and there is also a battery somewhere inside. I think I will start with replacing fuses and battery first, maybe try to recap the PSU as well. My question is: Has anyone done anything like this here on the forum and what is the best and easiest way to get inside of this thing.

I have a DM24 and had to replace a failing power supply. I bought one from Tascam and the replacement wasn't too bad. There are a bunch of screws to remove but the whole top surface lifts up and is hinged. There are some caps that commonly fail and the tops swell up when they are bad. I think the problem was the heat rating of the caps was incorrect or something. There's also some kind of coil that can overheat and that is supposedly a serious problem because it can't be easily replaced or something. It's been quite awhile ago since I did the job and I got all the info from the tascamforums site that is apparently gone indefinitely. Who says the internet is forever?

wm_b is spot on their, sounds most likely that the caps need replacing, I'd with replacing them all, they do only have a limited lifespan which is shortened by low temp rated caps which is quite common in all electrical gear, I never had this issue with mine while I still had it, but I did also read about the coil issue but I'd start with the caps, you should be able to see if they've gone as the tops will be bulging and possibly leaking from either the top or bottom.

Back