DM-24 sound to computer?

Erik713

Ok, ladies and gents. I finally bit the big one and went for a DM-24. I haven't recieved it yet, but I'd like to know, and I hope you can help me, how do I get the signal from my board to my computer to be recorded by HomeStudio? Right now I have a Delta1010, and I'm assuming that won't help at all.

I was kind of bummed when I found out that the board didn't have analog outs, but it was too good a deal to pass up.

So, bottom line, how do I get the tracks out of the mixer to my computer?

Thanks in advance!!

-Erik

Congrats on the Dm 24. I love mine.

The Delta 1010 is a great soundcard, I used to use one, but with the dm24 I'm using a RME Hammerfall card. We're using this setup in both studios I'm involved with. It's Adat, and if you get the two expansion cards for the board you've then got 24 in and out.
If you use the TDIF you won't need to buy any expansion cards, but from everything I've red its not as reliable as adat through the hammerfall, plus the RME sounds great.
Tascam also has a new firewire card available but I don't know anything about it, but there's some info about it on the tascam website.

For a 24bit 44.1 recording situation the original MOTU 2408 is working pretty well for me... but I would much rather have the Tascam firewire card when it starts to be sold.

Well, I can pick up a Hammerfall card or a Firewire expansion board for roughly the same price. Which is better?

rockum said:
For a 24bit 44.1 recording situation the original MOTU 2408 is working pretty well for me... but I would much rather have the Tascam firewire card when it starts to be sold.

I second the Motu 2408s as well. I have been using the MK1 version for years. It worked well with my Tascam TMD4000 and even better with my DM24. I think the Hammer would be better if you were using the analog inputs on a MK1. They improved the conversions on the MK2 and MK3.

When I track analog I used the 16 inputs on the DM24 and track them in Sonar via the Adat or Tdiff inputs on the Motu.

I like the flexibility of the Motus.

Malcolm

Ok, so yeah, no one has a direct answer regarding when the Firewire card will be available, so I'm going to cancel my order. The 2408 mkIII looks really sweet, but I'm not sure I'll have the money for it.

Are there any other options?

Looking into the Hammerfall again as well.

Hammerfall uses adat lightpipe. You'll need two more ADAT cards (8 channels per card) for your DM24 since it only has one adat connector. MOTU has 3 TDIF onboard as does the DM24. I don't like MOTU as a company but 2408/DM24 a good combo.

While I would prefer the Hammerfall I voted with my wallet and got the MOTU.

If you go with the hammerfall you may need only 1 adat expansion board.

If your going to be mixing using software, and just using the DM24 as a controller and inputs, you only need the 1 card, because you can only send sixteen channels from the board anyway, and you run your softwares stereo buss through the spdif. You could get away with no extra cards, if your not going to be recording more than eight tracks at a time.

If your going to mix through you board and your going to have more than 16 tracks, then you'll need two extra cards.

I bought two expansion cards, and I never use the one, because I mix in Sonar using the board as a controller. I know three other guys who are using the DM24 and the hammerfall card. Two are using Sonar, and the other is using Nuendo. None have had any problems.

Thanks for your replies, guys! I guess I forgot to update on my situation.

I decided to go with the Hammerfall and one ADAT expansion board for now. 16 tracks will be plenty for the work I am doing right now. I will be mixing through the board and not using it as an HUI. The boards and cables still came to around $700 -- $300 less than a new 2408.

Right now I have Home Studio 2004, but in a couple months I'll probably be upgrading to Sonar so I can have full syncing capabilities. For now, I'm just getting used to everything ELSE the desk does!!

Back