DJ Cartridge Stanton Vs. Ortofon

wordizbon

I'm looking into getting a new set of cartridges and needles. I'm not sure which one to go with. The Stanton Trackmasters II or the Ortofon Concorde disco. The stantons are definately cheaper than the concorde, but does that definately mean they are better? I'm a producer looking to make mix tapes and using my turntables to scratch records on tracks. I'm I really getting better with the concordes or either one works. Any Dj's have any info or experience with this let me know. Thanks!!

If your going to be scratching a lot, you'd probably want to look at the Shure M44-7s. I own both the M44s and a pair of Ortofons...Id say the Ortofons have a better design overall but the skip resistance is a tad better on the Shures.

Stanton 500al
Shure M44-7
Shure M44g

Yeah, depending on the model, Stanton's do make decent needles for scratchin'.

Fuck Ortofon's... their unibody design smashes the connector pins inside the tonearm back if you do lots of cartridge or tonearm changing. If you go that route, be sure to keep you the smallest needlenose pliers (or something like this but smaller) handy, ESPECIALLY if you start playing out & taking your shit with you.

hh

Huck Hobo said:
Fuck Ortofon's... their unibody design smashes the connector pins inside the tonearm back if you do lots of cartridge or tonearm changing. If you go that route, be sure to keep you the smallest needlenose pliers (or something like this but smaller) handy, ESPECIALLY if you start playing out & taking your shit with you.

hh

learn how to put cartridges on idiot

Ive used quite a few over the years....but the m44 is a good one for sure.
I like the tone of the g more....but the feel of the 7 more.....depending on what your doing.

I like em better than the TMs...but you wont go wrong with them. Stanton makes a quality cartrige....and ive never been partial to ortofons.

Back