DIY'er question about homemade meters

guitarlover

Hi All,

I record my own music almost exclusively and I'm faced with a small problem. I record to an MR-8 that actually sits behind me along with my preamp (a DMP-3). The problem I have is no visual indication of signal level when I'm playing as I face the other direction (I play calssical guitar so there is quite a large dynamic level). I have to basically play a chord, loudly, as I look backward.

Anyway, I found an LED stereo meter kit (Velleman). I am going to build it and mount it on my mic stand. My problem comes in trying to calibrate it. I don't own a bunch of audio equipment and I sold my Heathkit VTVM last year to a guy in Italy. I'm thinking that I can use the signal generators I downloaded on my computer. My plan is to crank up the level to 0 db as it appears on the Fostex MR-8 and then adjust the Velleman meter until it matches the output.

Is this a plan? Am I oversimplifying? Am I making this too difficult? Absolute accuracy is not paramount as long as I can calibrate to 0db. At least, that's what I'm thinking.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Steve

Back