"DIY RECORDING BOOTH" IS IT TOO SMALL???

alley_boy12

FOLLOW ME @bigxlisto
Check out my vocal booth. Feedback anyone? is there such a thing as too small? Do i need better acoustic treatment? In my opinion it sounds great. I build it myself out of necessity and working with what i got. Its 4x4x6.5 and the walls are 4 inches thick with insulation in between and the interior/exterior is wrapped in acoustic carpet ( the type used in commercial theaters).

Does noise tend to spill into the room your booth is in ? In one of your "critique my mix" threads, someone pointed out that the vocal sounded a bit 'boxy'. That booth could be why.
But if you like it, does it matter whether anyone else doesn't ?

Looks fine to me and since you're happy with the sound... I say it's all good. What's the purpose of it? Are you trying to deaden the sound of the recording itself? Are you trying to keep the neighbors from hearing you?

Does noise tend to spill into the room your booth is in ? In one of your "critique my mix" threads, someone pointed out that the vocal sounded a bit 'boxy'. That booth could be why.
But if you like it, does it matter whether anyone el

But if you like it, does it matter whether anyone else doesn't ?
NO SOUND SPILLS IN. I ACTUALLY DID A GOOD JOB WITH THE SOUND PROOF. IF I WAS TO RECORD WITH THE DOOR OPEN, YOU CAN TELL THE BIG DIFFERENCE. IN THAT ASPECT IT BEATS NOT HAVING A BOOTH. AS FOR THE "BOXY MIX" YOU MIGHT BE RIGHT BUT TO BE HONEST. I THINK IT WAS MORE OF A E.Q MISTAKE ON MY BEHALF... BUT I FIXED IT AND ADDED A MULTI BAND COMPRESSOR TO THE CHAIN. IT SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD NOW. I BEEN MIXING ON AND OFF FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS (SELF TAUGHT, TUTORIALS ETC. AND MAKING MISTAKES AND LEARNING FROM IT). THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK! APPRECIATE IT. HAVE A GOOD ONE!

Looks fine to me and since you're happy with the sound... I say it's all good. What's the purpose of it? Are you trying to deaden the sound of the recording itself? Are you trying to keep the neighbors from hearing you?
MOSTLY PRIVACY TO GET IN THE ZONE AND DO SOME WRITING AND RECORD VOCALS. IT DEFINATELY MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE NOT HAVING ONE. THANK YOU.

It looks pretty good. You can get commercial vocal booths as small as this.
Privacy was the main reason I bought a second booth. It means I can try to sing without neighbours hearing.
Pensioner neighbours would sit out, outside my window, and just over the fence.
The first booth was bought to keep my drumming noise in.

YES I'VE DONE MY RESEARCH AS LONG I JUST NEED TO WORK A LIL MORE ON THE ACOUSTIC TREATMENT. ALSO, I DID A GOOD JOB WITH THE SOUND PROOF. NO SOUND LEAKS IN. YES I SEEN THE COMMERCIAL BOOTHS. THEYRE CRAZY EXPENSIVE! WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC DO YOU WORK WITH? THANX FOR THE FEEDBACK.

The music is just my own rubbish. A mixture: Acoustic guitar and singing, dirty electric guitars and acoustic drums, through to digital piano, organ, and synths. Whatever pleases me. I thought spend some big money now, then I'll have good acoustic isolation for the rest of my life. I blew around £13,000 on two booths. It no longer hurts.
If you're happy with your home-made booth, you're saving good money.

Back