DIY Music effects. Where do I start?

zolappa

Hello home recording enthusiasts!

I want to build my own rack effects like eq's, compressors, preamps and etc.
Where do I start? What do I do? It feels wrong starting with a 1176 when I don't have a clue...

Thanks for answers

Alfred

Do you want to actually learn how and why they work, or just paint by numbers. There are plenty of kits out there that you just put the parts where the thing tells you and solder them in. Pretty easy, once you get the soldering skills down. Actually learning the theory behind it is a different step altogether.

Either way, really, if you're really new (like not sure which end of the soldering iron is hot), I'd strongly suggest you start out building some cables. Buy the connectors and bulk cable to replace everything in your studio plus some extras and get to it. You'll start to figure that part out pretty quick.

Then I'd say go over by the DIYStompboxes forum and build their Beginner's Project (you don't have to buy the parts from the forum store, though it might be convenient) and maybe a couple of other simple things. These projects are a bit more forgiving with cheaper and more readily available parts but they're quite useful, and all of the principals are essentially the same to what you'd be doing making "studio effects". Plus, the folks on that forum are great, knowledgeable, and happy to help anyone with a willingness to learn.

The main stumbling block to the "non-professional" electronics buff is mains power supplies. Things like compressors usually need a PSU of a few watts and dual supplies and these are not easily available from wall warts.
Maybe there is some enterprising firm selling SMPS units in a selection of output voltages and currents, class ll insulation (no earth needed) and "fig 8" bi-pin mains input that can be bolted inside the DIY tronics? I don't know of one though???

Dave.

I've used JLM transformers and power supplies in the past for various mic preamp racking jobs.
They offer them in kit form or preassembled.
The ones I bought offered 48v and a bipolar supply ranging from (I think) +/-15 to +/-24.

That's the range I've used. They might go further than that.

You must spread some more rep before giving it to jimmy and steeno again
Some good answers here

Back