DIY Mastering Clinic #1!!!!!

Looks like this turned into a MP3 vs WAV.

Lets get it back on track and do this one as MS started it.

See how it works out and what we learn. Then make changes as needed for the next one.

Ms...I have 500Gb of transfers a month. Go ahead and put up the link to the wav if that's what you want to do.

I will have a wav, lossless compressed wav, and mp3 version of the source file up shortly. Let's quit arguing about this, choose your own version and don't make excuses later.

Getting this thread back on target:

The first thing that I would do when mastering is ask the client what his goals are for the final version.

Dogman, do you have any reference tracks that you would like to use as examples?

What elements of the recording would you like to see improved?

Hey, guys. Let's all start a mastering clinic.

Sounds great. I'm in.

Alright, here's the MP3. Have at it.

(cue: Sound of crickets and tumbleweed, as any self-respecting person with half a brain runs for the door)

masteringhouse said:
I will have a wav, lossless compressed wav, and mp3 version of the source file up shortly. Let's quit arguing about this, choose your own version and don't make excuses later.

Getting this thread back on target:

The first thing that I would do when mastering is ask the client what his goals are for the final version.

Dogman, do you have any reference tracks that you would like to use as examples?

What elements of the recording would you like to see improved?
I actually have no commercial reference tracks in mind. This came about as an accidental collab, so it just sort of happened. I can post a mix I have done, that sounds about as good as I have been able to get it, yet it still needs work.
As far as the version we are working with, it seems to be a bit dark, or muddy. I'd like it brighter, and just more full. I'll also see if I can get Space, and Jack to maybe come in and comment, if that works.

pingu said:
Im out

Sorry for my bad language its unnecessary

Ive deleted all my posts in this thread.

No, Pingu. Don't be a wuss!

You said what needed to be said. Anyone who possesses even the smallest shred of respect for the world of audio ... needs to know that the very idea of this is embarrassing. And there's no nice way to put it, unfortunately.

pingu said:
Im out

Sorry for my bad language its unnecessary

Ive deleted all my posts in this thread.
Dude...there's no reason to leave. Just chill a bit, and show us what you have in mind.

I see I missed the pissing contest. Lots of you're wrong, I'm right and still no solutions or advice on "proper" ways to do it.

Suggestion: You guys that say it's stupid, tell everyone why it's stupid.

You guys that say it's not stupid, tell everyone why it's not stupid.

If someone has to explain why conducting a "mastering clinic" using MP3 as the prefered choice of medium is a bad idea ... aaarghhh ! ! !

Find a way to host .wav files. Set up an FTP server if you have to.

Then come back and start this thread again. Mmmkay? ? :D End of story.

That is exactly my point. Maybe people have done more extensive research than I, and perhaps people may understand the whole concept in general, much better than I. However, following the suggestion of someone who basically says "do this, because I said" isn't something I see many people doing anytime soon. Perhaps you should add a "because <insert factual information here>" line here and there. Maybe then people will actually start to understand the stuff that you make fun of people for not automatically knowing. End of Story.

afk crying :D

mshilarious said:
Before the track link, a few words on what the Clinic isn't:

It isn't really real "mastering". Not because we might not be pros, but simply because we are only taking one song in isolation and not producing a premaster CD. So I feel there's lots to the process that will be left out. That is an acknowledged limitation of the Clinic.
Guess chessrock didn't read that statement. Seems clearly laid out to me. Mp3 or wave files. Who really cares? I for one, am very interested in listening to the initial files, the end results and what gear was used to achieve the end result.

Hats off to mshilarious and Dogman for their efforts to get the show on the road.

It's too bad that someone else feels the need to piss on someone elses parade. :rolleyes:

Creamyapples1 said:
I see I missed the pissing contest. Lots of you're wrong, I'm right and still no solutions or advice on "proper" ways to do it.

Suggestion: You guys that say it's stupid, tell everyone why it's stupid.

You guys that say it's not stupid, tell everyone why it's not stupid.

The data are now available to all to draw their own conclusions.

chessrock, the .wav was up before your first post.

Here's my first take (probably only), not completely happy with the low end still, but I like the rest. I just threw in some basic fades, and it shows :o

mshilarious attempt

My objectives:

I wanted the guitar intro louder and fatter. It has a cool phasy sound, I wanted to bring it up and make it sound like a real fat strat tone.

The bass needed to get under control. The kick needed to lose the boom, and the bass parts needed each note in the progression to be the same volume. I spend the majority of the time working on that.

I wanted to bring up the vocal and give it a knife edge, so that it hung back, then sliced right through. I needed to get some other stuff out of the way to make that happen.

I wanted a nice crack on the snare, and a bit more shimmer on the hat.

The last guitar solo I wanted to sound much more aggressive.

My process:

I started with a low cut at 30Hz. I tried 40Hz too, still not sure which I like better. I'm a little fried at the moment to tell :o

Confession: I'm on the 14-day demo for the UAD Multiband, so that was next. I set it for just a touch of de-essing, and also for bass compression. The other three channels were off, and there is no makeup gain.

Most of the style changes--voice, guitar intro, guitar solo, I relied on the LA2A, with more peak reduction than I usually use.

Next I made some small EQ cuts--60Hz, 4-5Khz, the tiniest possible boost at 10kHz (for the hat), and a normal boost at 1.5kHz (for the snare).

Last in the chain was the Limiter, which I always put there, to trim levels with its gain control if nothing else. Actual limiting was infrequent, about 0.7dB when it did get hit.

Final volume ended up a bit higher than I would have thought. I get the feeling I should back off on the LA2A, but I like the sound where it is :confused:

Creamyapples1 said:
That is exactly my point. Maybe people have done more extensive research than I, and perhaps people may understand the whole concept in general, much better than I.

... In which case, perhaps you should just listen to them when they say something, without having to have every little detail of their reasoning behind everything spelled out to you. :D

Has anybody else listened to Dogman's master?

yep

cool track

can't wait to have a go at goosing it all up ;)

Not a clue where to start so I'll be keeping a very close eye on all the (valid) posts in this thread... see you in about a week :cool:

chessrock said:
... In which case, perhaps you should just listen to them when they say something, without having to have every little detail of their reasoning behind everything spelled out to you. :D

When it's presented in such a manner that leads me to believe that you get your jollies by "acting" smarter than everyone else, I'll stick with what I know, but have fun with the dead horse.

Back