DIY Mastering Clinic #1!!!!!

chessrock said:
Alright, fools. :D

Here's a little sample remaster I threw together.

I edited it down to a shorter sample, since I'm sure some of you have probably listened to this thing a million times right now, and would probably prefer to cut to the chase.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3503&alid=-1

Have fun picking at it.

Sounds good man. You seemed to clean up the muddiness pretty nicely, while maintaining good dynamics. Gonna provide the details now...???? :D

masteringhouse said:
I just banged one out between sessions. See sample1 at the bottom of this page:

http://www.masteringhouse.com/masteringclinic/

My intent was to retain as much power as I could from the original, but clean up some of the issues with the bottom end and the synth and make the snare and guitars stand out more. The vocal is a bit mid oriented, but I kinda like it that way. It reminds me of a Floyd vocal sound.

The main technique that I used for this was M/S EQ and compression. Essentially I ran busses from Pro Tools to create an M and S send. Then added a 2.5 db cut at 128Hz Q=1 and a multi-band comp with a low shelf at 100 Hz down to cut back on some of the kick and synth on the M channel. The S channel was untouched. I also reduced the M slightly to try to widen the sound field a bit.

Let me know what you guys think of the above. There were other EQs/comps used as well. I'll give you the details on those if you guys like this, if not then it doesn't matter and they will change anyway.

Wow! You can definetly tell who is the pro.

pingu said:
Are we going to get on to another track soon?

I though the objective here was to get feedback, try some new techniques, and repair initial attempts at mastering a track? If so, I don't know that we met that goal yet.

I know it gets tiresome hearing the same song over and over, but that comes with the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: NL5
pingu said:
Are we going to get on to another track soon?
As a stay on the side reader and observer of this thread I think I know where pingu is coming from. If there are other tracks that have been submitted for this clinic, is there any reason they can't be posted and dealt with concurrently with Clinic #1 and posted as Clinic #2 or #3 and so forth?.

This thread has been great, but variety is the spice of life, so I've always been told. ;)

If you guys are sittng on more songs for this clinic, don't hold back. Everyone knows how to multitask, right? :p :D

8tothebar said:
As a stay on the side reader and observer of this thread I think I know where pingu is coming from. If there are other tracks that have been submitted for this clinic, is there any reason they can't be posted and dealt with concurrently with Clinic #1 and posted as Clinic #2 or #3 and so forth?.

This thread has been great, but variety is the spice of life, so I've always been told. ;)

By all means have at it. On a personal note I have more than enough variety and multitasking doing this daily as a gig, so there isn't any advantage for me that I can see.

At this point in the thread I think that we've heard some good examples, but techniques haven't been discussed fully (I'm guilty here as well due to time constraints). I haven't seen much in the way of corrections or second attempts attempts based on those suggestions, which is what I had hoped this thread would be about. Learning new techniques and honing skills.

I'm not clear on how moving to another song at this point is going to help realize that goal. For me that's the difference between a clinic and a demonstration.

I burnt my ears out on the song and i cant be arsed doing another version?

But its good to see an ME taking such an interest Tom.
Good one man.

I explained my methodology, i only did a little subtle tweaking.

I don't think people were too interested in what i did so, for me its wait until the next track.

Also its hard for me to participate and comment as i cant download the uploaded submissions. From this site.

That's why i was hoping someone could host all the submissions and i could download them from there. (proxy Thing)

But we need to step it up a notch as it is a bit lack luster at the moment.

pingu said:
I don't think people were too interested in what i did so, for me its wait until the next track.

Not true Pingu, I'm very interested in what you would do in regards to compression/limiting and getting the level up. I think that you felt that it wasn't needed, but I'll play devil's advocate (i.e. client) and request it of you.

If you're burnt out on this one and it's no fun anymore I also understand. Been through a few of those type of projects :)

"Take 276 you know this used to be fun" - John Entwhistle

Tom dont do another post look at your post count.

I like that.

Rejoin again as masteringhoise 2 and go again up to 1111
and then again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tom in the next song ill go louder for you.

Tell me....

Hey mastering professionals. Can I submit a mix to you so that you can critque it in this forum....just critique? It's hip-hop. I'd like your feedback on what I should be trying to fix in the mix before I send it to you.

tempo said:
Hey mastering professionals. Can I submit a mix to you so that you can critque it in this forum....just critique? It's hip-hop. I'd like your feedback on what I should be trying to fix in the mix before I send it to you.

Start a thread in the MP3 clinic, you'll get plenty of responses there.

I've received a lot of submissions for #2, but I've already picked out a track.

I'm not ready to start it yet, maybe over the weekend, but no sooner. I'm gonna have a crack at the M/S approach later today, maybe some other people would like to try that too, so I'll post a detailed description of whatever I end up doing.

MSH....thanks for starting this....it's been a brainfull for me. :D

Thanks to all who have participated so far...I for one have enjoyed, and learned.

masteringhouse said:
I haven't seen much in the way of corrections or second attempts attempts based on those suggestions, which is what I had hoped this thread would be about. Learning new techniques and honing skills.

Yeah, I feel a little bad not doing a second attempt; but my studio space still is in pieces, and I now have 4 bands waiting on me to get going!! :eek:
Plus, I'm not exactly sure what to change. I guess I could take another look at the low end....and it might be fun to try M/S-ing it.

Back