DIY kick mic using a speaker

We'll consider this, I run 12--18" BagEnd subs with the INFRA processor, in that application would a mic design like this make sense?

I just recently made a subkick from a Philips 5" speaker I had hanging around. Like it's been said million times. It's hot hot hot... I tackled this problem from a different angle. I thought I need good damping, isolation and impedance mach for the preamp for this to be something other than a speaker on a stand. There's nothing wrong with it. It works. I just took it further. What I did is really easy. I used a 240V to 24V transformer in between the signal. I get galvanic isolation and -20db bad at the same time. I connected the leads from the transformers secondary coil as I would connect a dynamic mic capsule (pins 2 & 3) but used two 220ohm resistors from both pins to the 1 pin. This makes the preamp see balanced 220ohm load instead 5ohm load (the secondary coil). The coil core material effects the sound. It cuts the highs even more, if that's possible. But that's just a good thing! You could also use condensers to isolate the 48v if the phantom is accidentally connected on. Though I had mine connected and did nothing. Here's a PIC if someone wants to do the same.

Hey mutant.
Thanks for you sharing your info. It's great.

Can you tell us a bit about the audible advantages of stepping down with a transformer rather than a simple resistor pad, or whatever?

The type of speaker used does make a difference. The size and rigidity in particular. It doesn't have to be a particularly nice speaker to sound good. With an enveloper and some EQ it can add a lot of body. I plan to try my DIY Auratones as a sub kick. I also took a broken hartke combo and a warped tom and fused them into this freak of nature.
IMG_1382.jpg

The type of speaker used does make a difference. The size and rigidity in particular. It doesn't have to be a particularly nice speaker to sound good. With an enveloper and some EQ it can add a lot of body. I plan to try my DIY Auratones as a sub kick. I also took a broken hartke combo and a warped tom and fused them into this freak of nature.

Have you A/Bd that design against a closed box design, out of interest?

I used a loose speaker design once at college and it was impressive enough, but it didn't stand out as being more impressive than a good mic (with no high end)
Then at home I tried a 10" sealed enclosure pioneer sub.

It had criminal amounts of tight, deep, low end!

I'll have to give in a shot the next time I am tracking! There is more than one variable as the Auratone is not very rigid and a 5" whereas the Hartke speaker is a fairly rigid 8. I could definitely see the box itself giving the speaker more body.

I'll have to give in a shot the next time I am tracking! There is more than one variable as the Auratone is not very rigid and a 5" whereas the Hartke speaker is a fairly rigid 8. I could definitely see the box itself giving the speaker more body.

True that.
I suppose the characteristics as a speaker apply when used as a mic.
That's why that sub was tight as fook! :p

Back