DIY E-Drums with Alessis Trigger I/O?

Mongoo

I built a Drum Trigger from a Remo practice pad. I'll test it out later today. If it works well I'll have to consider making a full set and looking for a brain/controller to convert the signals to midi. I saw this alessis unit called the trigger I/O, and it seems pretty resonable for using it with something like bfd.

Has anyone tried this and used the Trigger I/O? What are your thoughts, opinions on it?

Also anyone have any links for making different types of DIY Triggers? The one I made was just a single zone. I'ld like try making something with two (rim shot or something) or three zones (like the yamaha's; How do they do that with still using only one TRS?)

Thanks

i did this a while back with an alesis D4 i got off ebay. Worked decently well.

If just you're doing this for fun, then it's a lot of fun to futz around with.

If you're doing it to try to save money over buying a commercial E-drum kit, i'd say forget about it.

Now that the TD-9 is out used TD-6 and TD-6V prices are going down. Ebay will have amazing deals, go check them out in person too. Any Sam Ash or Guitar Center will have TD-6 modules to test out.

i did this a while back with an alesis D4 i got off ebay. Worked decently well.

If just you're doing this for fun, then it's a lot of fun to futz around with.

If you're doing it to try to save money over buying a commercial E-drum kit, i'd say forget about it.

Why forget about it Santiu? That was my thinking, to save money over buying a E-Drum Kit, and learn the process of different ways to build things. I already have acoustic drums, and that is what I will mainly be using for recording, unless I find the E-kit i build to be really working out. Even then I'll probably still mainly use the acoustic.

Well. I'm speaking from limited experience, but I built an E-drum kit to use for practice while i was living in an apartment. I started with my own triggers, but i found them to be so finicky and I could never get them to work just right. So eventually I got some pin-tech concertcast triggers, but kept my DIY cymbals. Even then I didn't find it to be that great. 1/2 the time I would just practice without the module on. Eventually I moved out of the apartment, and immediately sold the equipment.

I've found that the only e-drum kits I'd be happy playing on seriously are the higher end Roland stuff, and the Hart Dynamics stuff. Other than those, e-drums tend to play like toys to me. The cheaper stuff can handle boom-chuck-boom-chuck playing, but that seems to be about it.

But you did mention using this as an opportunity to learn about building things. That it is really good for. Building the e-drums was a blast. And plugging them in the first time, and getting sound to come out was quite rewarding. As always, YMMV :D

Back