DIY Class A preamp

anteroom123

I have read about these preamps in a few magazines and they boast to be great DIY preamps for little cash.

the one that i am interested is called the N72, it is supposted to be based off of circuitry of a Neve 1073. I have yet to hear any sound samples for ANY of these units, but who knows they might actually be good.

anyone know anything about them?

http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/N72/N72R31/n72_about.htm

I haven't heard anything about them . . . but it would be fun to try. I'm really interested in getting into DIY stuff.

Last edited:
I have been checking out these DIY pres recently also. I was suggested to check them out on another forum, but they were highly praised.

Check out their forums, not exactly unbiased opinions, but you also see some people having issues with the DIY stuff.

I'm thinking of starting out with their beginner preamp for starters. It's cheap and simple. The Neve clone does seem quite appealing though!

I have a friend who built a SCA, and I'm 99% sure it was the Neve one.

He said that the difference is subtle at best with only run track, but it's quite noticeable when all the tracks are stacked up. Keep in mind that he loves his overdubs; it's not unusual for him to have 30 or more tracks going at once.

I certainly want to build one when I get the scratch together.

Teppei from the band Thrice bought and made some of these recently...they used them on their new album. He says a bit about them on their site-

thrice.net

Their site is pretty neat, they share some of the ways they recorded their album. They self-produced this album, along with a 4-disc concept series writing songs based around the elements---fire, water, wind, earth.

Good stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually hangs out here on this site a bit actually...

Back