DIY Alignment and Calibration

Indeed.

I think it is fairly well accepted that the 58 and MS-16 bias amp circuitry in stock trim cannot produce enough current to properly bias +9 tapes.

fstrat's objective work is good news. I wonder about the 40-series machines.

Beck, thanks for listing those other machines and your experience with them regarding biasing +9 tape.

Anyway, the 58 and MS-16, which use identical amp cards, will do it with a simple mod

Re: aligning a Tascam deck for +9: I recently aligned my Tascam 48 for 355 nW/m which gives me 0VU at +6 above 185nW/m. Seeing as how it's popular to align Tascam decks for +3 above 185nW/m for tapes which specify a +6 operating level, it's entirely possible to align the deck for +6 at 0VU and use a +9 tape like 499, SM900, or GP9.

If you're not looking for tape compression, it's likely that aligning your deck at the same level as I did and using ATR tape would give you the benefit of a lower noise floor and better signal clarity. You'd also get less high frequency compression / distortion than if you'd gone for 450 nW/m with SM900.

At any rate, I'm totally happy with my now-higher operating level using new old stock BASF PEM468. I don't see much point in going to +9, at least for my taste / my music.

Absolutely...You can setup a machine for ANY operating level regardless of the tape. The issue with the 58 and MS-16 in stock trim is that the bias amps run out of trim range to properly bias +9 tape.

Absolutely...You can setup a machine for ANY operating level regardless of the tape. The issue with the 58 and MS-16 in stock trim is that the bias amps run out of trim range to properly bias +9 tape.

Sure! I meant to point out that there are many ways of getting the sound you want, without having to hot-rod your tape deck :)

Okay...yes...absolutely, and that's one of the beauties of an analog tape machine that you're pointing out there. Once you understand how to set it up any number of ways and the effect you get from that and then add in the compound effect of different flavors of tape, the tape machine itself becomes a whole pallette of possibilities. Very cool and very powerful right "out of the box".

Very good and important point.

Once you understand how to set it up any number of ways and the effect you get from that and then add in the compound effect of different flavors of tape, the tape machine itself becomes a whole pallette of possibilities. Very cool and very powerful right "out of the box".

It's important to remember that a tape machine is only a tool, and it's there to help you make music, not to tell you how to make music or dictate your style :)

I have enough experience now to know that there's no one "right way" to make a recording - I think everything comes down to a matter of taste, style, and personal preference!

These sources include performance tests made by various auto magazines, different sources on the internet and official data from the auto manufactures.

Hey Guys,

I'm working on calibrating my Tascam 38 and everything is going pretty well, but I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm using RMG SM911 and my MRL tape is 355 nWb/m. In order to adjust my deck to +6 should I just go by the Tascam manual and set levels to .316v? Or should I be setting her so that 0VU is -6db below what is specified in the manual?

2. The only adjustment I have trouble with is the Rec EQ. The screw seems to to have no noticeable effect. Actually, I'm a little unsure of what I should be looking for here anyway. The manual says, "Adjust choke coil to read 0 VU in playback." The needle is hovering around 0, but there is about +/-1 VU of movement to it. If this is properly set, should I see the needle settle down and begin to read a steady 0 VU?

3. Last thing is not really related to the alignment, but my VU meter for track 8 is sort of "sticky". Often, but not always, I'll need to send a pretty hot signal into the track in order to wake the meter up, otherwise it reads as if no signal were going into or out of the track. Obviously, I can live with this issue but if anyone has any guidance I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! Great thread, I have referenced it many times during this process.

Hi

You can find this info by using search box in the top of website with some keywords related before posting questions.

Hey Guys,

I'm working on calibrating my Tascam 38 and everything is going pretty well, but I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm using RMG SM911 and my MRL tape is 355 nWb/m. In order to adjust my deck to +6 should I just go by the Tascam manual and set levels to .316v? Or should I be setting her so that 0VU is -6db below what is specified in the manual?

2. The only adjustment I have trouble with is the Rec EQ. The screw seems to to have no noticeable effect. Actually, I'm a little unsure of what I should be looking for here anyway. The manual says, "Adjust choke coil to read 0 VU in playback." The needle is hovering around 0, but there is about +/-1 VU of movement to it. If this is properly set, should I see the needle settle down and begin to read a steady 0 VU?

3. Last thing is not really related to the alignment, but my VU meter for track 8 is sort of "sticky". Often, but not always, I'll need to send a pretty hot signal into the track in order to wake the meter up, otherwise it reads as if no signal were going into or out of the track. Obviously, I can live with this issue but if anyone has any guidance I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! Great thread, I have referenced it many times during this process.

How did you make out with your Tascam 38 Alignment?

VP

You can do it... It's kinda fun really. You can use the "mono meter method" for azimuth if you don't have an oscope. Just sum the two outside tracks, flip one out of phase and adjust for minimum reading (null).

Wow i am really loving this site. It's been a long time since i've been able to chime in on conversations about tape cal.

I used to be the cal guy for about 6 different machines in a big multi studio facility. Lot's of Otari's and Studers...what fun!

Back