Dithering: Where are we?

wes480

The old school of thought on this board was that the best way to record if you were doing a project intended for CD at the current time - was 44.1/24 - (even if you had the resources to do 48, 96, etc.)

Becuase often times the downconversion to the 44.1 cd format was damaging to the audio (but going from 24-16 wasn't as much).

How are things now? I'm working on a new project, my first in a couple of years almost...is 44.1/24 still the way to go if I am planning for CD, or should I feel free to play with some of the higher numbers my fancy Q10 can handle? :cool:

Naturally since whatever I am working on is going to be a classic...I'd like to have the best initial quality I could so that years down the road when there is a new format, and I can make a few extra million off of the remasters...I will have something to offer Joe Consumer...

-Wes

If you do your initial recording at 88.2 it makes the math down to 44.1 a lot simpler for the samplerate conversions, and you still have your original extended bandwidth for high-end formats like DVD-A etc. all things being equal which unfortunately they are often not.

What do your ears tell you? :D

Dithering bitrates down is something else entirely.;)

I wouldn't say better, just different.

The samplerate is what gives you your bandwidth, and the bitrate is what gives you your dynamic range so technically they are different conversions. I believe that dither applies strictly to bitrate conversions, though I could be wrong about that.

Maybe a good question for Nika.

Back