distortion pedal wanted

theD1CKENS

*insert clever title here
Anyone got any old stomp boxes they don't use/want anymore? I got me a tube amp now, and the Metal Zone, as much as it pains me to say this, sucks with it.

No clue what I'm looking for, really. Something NOT super hi-gain, and smooth sounding. The MT-2 has these 'jagged edges' that I don't have a use for anymore.

The TubeScreamer sounds pretty cool, but the diversity of it may be an issue. Big Muff? Anything by Blackstar? I dunno? What are you tube guys using? I'm definately buying an HT-Dual soonish, but some variety is always nice.

Also, willing to sell the Metal Zone for somewhere in the $50-60(US) range. Maybe less, if you pay shipping?

...and seriously, what are you tube guys using?

I never used a distortion pedal when I had an amp with a 12AX7 preamp in it. Just an old orange DOD compressor/sustainer.

If you just want something to get some crunch without destroying dynamics and articulation, the DOD Juice Box may be a good choice.

Is this for live or recording?

both, but moreso for recording. the MT-2 isn't terrible live, it's just really hard to dial in, and it always feels like too much, even with the dist. level at zero. if it sounds good on tape, it will be a lot easier to work with live, I think

Sparkle Drive? Juice Box? never heard of em. I'll check it out. I'm leery of DOD pedal, tho. I've had more than one experience where the pedal wouldn't act as it should when you step on it. the effect would kick on, then right back off when you lift your foot off...sometimes it wouldn't come on at all. happened with a DOD delay, and some Dist. that I forget. that plastic stomp gaurd was the culprit both times I think. may have just been old and beat up, but I still prefer something made of metal.

heavy=reliable......in my head at least

Yeah, the plastic switch cover has always been a weak point in the DOD pedals. You can sure get some cool sounds out of them though!

Used TubeScreamer reissues for years until I bought an OCD. I did a lot of research, asked around to see who's using what, and went from there.
I have not been happier with an overdrive pedal. It's an absolutely amazing device, and it's not that expensive.

For the record, a properly modded TubeScreamer is a beautiful thing. That's next on the list for my TS-9 reissue.

Used TubeScreamer reissues for years until I bought an OCD. .
OCD is almost a no-brainer. Basically everyone that gets one loves it.
I have a Fulltone Fulldrive2 which is a bit more money but has a lot of extra versatility while having as one of its' settings the OCD sound built in.
Either of those would make you a happy guy I think.

OCD? also, never heard of it. can I just type in OCD pedal, or something along those lines, in the youtubes and find it?

checked out the Sparkle Drive and the Juicebox on YT, and neither of those are really what I'm looking for. something with a little more gain than that. I found something called the Blue Box? maybe? it was a fuzz/octave pedal and sounded really neat. a buddy of mine is selling a Big Muff for $20 and I'm gonna buythat, tho I'm not sure if I'll use it a whole lot. meh, it's only $20

I'm leaning towards the HT-Dual, for now. a little more than I want to spend, but it looks like it has a lot of versatility

...still got a Metal Zone for sale, too. pulls double-duty as a good wheel chock while changing a flat tire :D

OCD? also, never heard of it. can I just type in OCD pedal, or something along those lines, in the youtubes and find it?

checked out the Sparkle Drive and the Juicebox on YT, and neither of those are really what I'm looking for. something with a little more gain than that. I found something called the Blue Box? maybe? it was a fuzz/octave pedal and sounded really neat. a buddy of mine is selling a Big Muff for $20 and I'm gonna buythat, tho I'm not sure if I'll use it a whole lot. meh, it's only $20

I'm leaning towards the HT-Dual, for now. a little more than I want to spend, but it looks like it has a lot of versatility
here's one youtube ...... I'm sure there's lots more.

Fulltone OCD Versions 1 2 3 4 ALL OF THEM with Les Paul and Dr Z MAZ Amplifier - YouTube

I have the blackstar ht 5 (basically a tube amp that uses the Ht dual as the preamp) and I think it sounds pretty good. Just take the ht dual and plug it's output into the fx loop return of your amp and bam. good tone.

good find. I like the way the demo was done. all 4 pedals were very similar, but I liked 2 the most

I have the blackstar ht 5 (basically a tube amp that uses the Ht dual as the preamp) and I think it sounds pretty good. Just take the ht dual and plug it's output into the fx loop return of your amp and bam. good tone.

there's no FX send on the ValveJunior, but I've always just run pedals straight into the front of whatever amp I happen to be using and always sounded fine

there's no FX send on the ValveJunior, but I've always just run pedals straight into the front of whatever amp I happen to be using and always sounded fine
yeah, personally I don't like distortions or overdrives thru the FX loop if there is one. In fact, I don't care for any pedal thru the loop. I tend to only like rack mount stuff there because it was made to plug into line level stuff.
But pedals were designed to handle a guitar level/impedance input and an amp impedance to go into. To me they sound best in front of an amp.

Most folks prefer the TS-9 over the TS-7, but I gotta say, I get quite nice tones with my silver-case TS-7. They are much less expensive, too, and can be modded to "be" TS-9's. I could care less that I don't have a beat-up apple-green pedal at my feet...

Well Im not saying run the pedal through the loop, I'm saying bypass the amps preamp entirely and just use the ht dual as the preamp

I'm not sure this is even possible with my current rig? I'd be willing to try it tho. I'm still learning this new amp, and all I've learned is that I don't know anything about ohms, and the MT-2 sounds a lot better in front of a solid state amp

Back