Distortion Pedal for Direct Recording

hollywoodending

I'm gonna be running a v-amp pro modeling amp into my comp, since it gets really good clean sounds. However, to thicken up the distortion a little, I want to also use a Big Muff pedal between the v-amp and my comp. Is this wise? Can you get a good distortion sound from a pedal when you direct record? Thanks for your input.

hollywoodending said:
I'm gonna be running a v-amp pro modeling amp into my comp, since it gets really good clean sounds. However, to thicken up the distortion a little, I want to also use a Big Muff pedal between the v-amp and my comp. Is this wise? Can you get a good distortion sound from a pedal when you direct record? Thanks for your input.

Try it, and if you like it, then its good. What more is there?
Don't limit your texture palette over a internet forum concensous.

thanks, I know.

I just asked because I've heard that direct recording with dist. pedals doesnt work out that good... I'm wondering if anyone here has actually done it and got positive results.

I think that the biggest argument against recording direct in with a distortion pedal usually involves a signal chain like this:

guitar----->pedal------>mixer/recorder/audio interface

and that will pretty much always suck, IMO. I think that having the V-AMP in there will help a bunch compared to not using one.

All that being said, go read Outlaws' post again. :D

hollywoodending said:
If you want to use a distortion pedal run it into the "Pre DSP Insert" or you will end up with a bunch of niose. If you want a better sound run the V-Amp Pro in "L2 mode" and use the XLR outs or the headphone out which have the Ultra-G Cabinet sim and the extra EQ. The Regular cab sims sound way too thin and honky so I never use them. I've done quite a few experiments with my V-Amp Pro and distortion pedals and it always sounds better without them. An EQ pedal will give you better results than a distortion pedal will.

You can make it work, I have used an SD-1 in front of it before.

Like Ocnor says, noise can be an issue so you got to watch the gain. Never tried the effect insert, but you can use it in front of the V-AMP just like you would with an amp. Pick a nice clean patch, like the 'tube preamp' into the '78 4x12' cab model, then use your distortion into it just like you would the clean channel of an amp.

Back