distortion in my Drawmer DL241

noground

I just bought my first rack effect: Drawmer DL 241 2 channel compressor/limiter/noise gate and I'm very confused.

Both channels have only 1/4 in. input and output and the unit "may be used in balanced or unbalanced systems". Each channel has a +4/-10 db button

Shouldn't I be able to plug a guitar directly in using an unbalanced cable and expect it to work ok? What about through a direct box using 2 unbalanced cables? This seems to work fine in channel 2, but not channel 1. In channel 1 I get this wierd distortion in the background (with both direct and direct box and +4 or -10 db). It's not as bad through if I go through a preamp and turn up the volume (but it's still there). It's also worse when I turn up the noise gate. I would just blame it on my guitar or cords, but as I said channel 2 works fine.

Channel 1 is picks up more radio interference than 2, could this be causing it? I don't have any balanced cables or I would see if that solved the problem

I would be grateful to anyone who could clear this up for me!!

Yep. I used the same 2 cords. I set everything the same in both channels then just unplugged them from 2 and put them into 1.

It was distorted with both my electric banjo and guitar but when
I tried it with an sm57 using an unbalanced 1/4 inch cord for input it was fine.

It doesn't really sound like the notes I'm playing are distorting, the distortion is more like it has been added in the background, like it's behind the signal... if that makes any sense.

thanks for any advice!

Back