distortion frustration

cabbage

so ive mixed and leveled sp that nothing is clipping. The song sounds great on my truths and on most speakers, but on some of the smaller ones ive tested it distorts like crazy. I tried taking it down at 130HZ which helped heaps when the bass was turned waaayyy down on the system, but when at normal bass levels for the speakers it still distorts. Its very boomy. I know i could take the levels down further but then the accoustic guitar doesnt have the depth that i want it too.
what can i do, please!!!
C.
Also, could it be the way that i have compressed the song?

cabbage said:
...could it be the way that i have compressed the song?
I believe you may have answered your own question. Without more details it's difficult to say what might be going on. Try another mix, backing off on the compression. Then see if it sounds better on the other systems.

cabbage said:
so ive mixed and leveled sp that nothing is clipping. The song sounds great on my truths and on most speakers, but on some of the smaller ones ive tested it distorts like crazy. I tried taking it down at 130HZ which helped heaps when the bass was turned waaayyy down on the system, but when at normal bass levels for the speakers it still distorts. Its very boomy. I know i could take the levels down further but then the accoustic guitar doesnt have the depth that i want it too.
what can i do, please!!!
C.
Also, could it be the way that i have compressed the song?

In the mix, try a highpass filter on the bass set somewhere around 60 hz or so.

Or, on the master, you could use a multiband compressor on just the lower frequencies.

If it's the accoustic that's causing the problems, then try setting the multiband to compress everything below, say, 300 hz or so. Should clean things up for you nicely.

thanks,

forgot to say that there is no bass guitar, just a few accoustics layered over the top of each other, vocals, and a bass drum.
C.

cabbage said:
thanks,

forgot to say that there is no bass guitar, just a few accoustics layered over the top of each other, vocals, and a bass drum.
C.
Use a High pass filter at 150hz, turn down the kick, and back off the compressor.

Honestly, this just sounds like typical accoustic guitar boominess to me. Most of that stuff starts around 200 hz, so I honestly think the only way you'll lick this without making it sound too thin would be the multiband comp from 300 hz on down.

Next time, don't put the mic in so close, and don't aim it at the dang sound hole. Keep it around the 12th fret or so, and you'll be alright.

Back