distored vocals for live use

vacant

ok i know this is most likely not even the site to post this in but if anyone could help me out id appreciate it. i got the sound i want pinpointed in my recordings www.myspace.com/whizkidmusic ( I know... mp3 section...but its relevant) and i am just about to start live shows do you know a good distortion/overdrive pedal to get a killersesque sound.. thanks alot guys and gals

Almost an impossible task without very careful setup in a controlled environment.
The reason is that an overdriven sound relies on ridiculous amounts of gain being performed.
The result, when using a live microphone, is feedback such as you've never heard.
If you combine a good overdrive effect with a really good gate (and you know how to set the gate properly), you might have a chance. But it is still going to be hit and miss from venue to venue. I wouldn't attempt it at all without a really experienced FOH guy who knows your act well.

I agree.

I would say the only way you can really pull it off live is if you were to just turn on the distortion pedal ONLY when you are singing, and immediately turn it off after you finish EVERY line you sing.

I did read about a noise gate though where the threshold worked off of promixity. They were designed more for like back up singer mic. As the person get's close to the mic, the threshold opens the gate.

Not sure how a lead singer with a handheld could do something like that.

Anyway..........

I have a digitech vocal processor that you can put distortion settings into. I think they go for about $200...

I hear ya!

I've been looking for something for live vocals aswell. With live vocals i think you can get away with a lot less distortion than you think you'll need. I'm looking into moding a bass overdrive pedal (better frequency range for vocal) to be balanced with a true bypass. I'm also building a balanced distortion specifically for vocals. It's still prototype stage, and am having trouble with too much gain, too slow a gate and gettting the "tone" knob just right. Its not an easy thing too build, but I'm sure I'll get there!

You might want to try using a lofi microphone, such as a Green Bullet, or any other old radio mic often used by harmonica players. It has a very distorted character with no need for any other outboard gear. I've seen people use such a mic to get the very sound you're looking for.

awesome thanks for the help guys....yes its very difficult to accomplish without a shitload of feedback....im gonna try getting some sort of lo-fi mic, i think thats a good idea any other suggestions of a good mic, in a moderate($100-$300) price range? im kinda nervous to buy one without hearing the sound first because stores dont let you return microphones....friggin germs...thanks in advance

Here's some links for microphones:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/420696/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/270175/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/270543/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/270541/

They're all $100 or less. Unless you're looking for a specific vintage model, harp mics are generally pretty cheap. I use an old version of the Hohner Blues Blaster for harmonica, and it also worked nicely on a cover of Beck's "Where It's At" (the distorted part). Hope this helps.
Jay

I think I'm going to adopt the CB (not sure if thats what its called in the US) mic idea. They can be had for next to nothing, whats more is they have a push button switch on the side which can be fun. My only qualm is that it might seem a little pretentious having two mics on stage. Mic Patton (Mr. Bungle, Tommahawk) uses the CB mic to great effect.

It's not that hard to use distortion live. Just get a small guitar amp and sing through that. Have them mic it for the PA. If possible use the dry signal for your monitors and feedback will be less of an issue.

I think that one of the harmonica mics would work best. As for having two mics onstage, think of it as having both an acoustic and electric guitars.

What about using a colored sounding compressor to squeeze the crap out of the signal? Would something like that work?

if you put any makeup gain with the compressor it will probably feedback.

i built a vocal pedal board for myself in which i run my microphone through boss eq (midboost with everything else cut) and electroharmonix reverb stompboxes. i tried using a blues driver in there as well but ran into feedback problems. the eq gets most of the effect i wanted anyway.

Back