Disposable World - Pearl Jam-esque song

jonlint

Hi all,

The new Pearl Jam album inspired me to write and record this song "Disposable World" over the weekend. Feedback most welcome.

Disposable World by Jonathan Linton 4 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

DISPOSABLE WORLD
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)

I feel the end is coming
As you watch, stock options summing
Free and brave, damage, destroy
Your kid’s future, a useful decoy

Your back is turned
Blissful unconcerned
Spend all you’ve earned
From a disposal world
Skies sicken us
Your lies sicken me
Plastic sea
In a disposal world
Disposal world

I see, the people disgusted
Those in power, no one is trusted
You know we’re right, you won’t admit
Cause you’re gone, when the world turns to shit

Your back is turned
Blissful unconcerned
Spend all you’ve earned
From a disposal world
Skies sicken us
Your lies sicken me
Plastic sea
In a disposal world

Disposal world

SOLO

Your back is turned
Blissful unconcerned
Spend all you’ve earned
From a disposal world
Skies sicken us
Your lies sicken me
Plastic sea
In a disposal world

Use once, throw away
Countdown to doomsday
Skies turn hazy grey
A disposal world
Sit with your greedy grin
But poison you’re breathin’ in
No one will win
In a disposal world

Disposal world
Disposal world
Disposal world

Man, I like it.

If I had a nit to pick, and I am really searching here, I would say the rhythm guitar is a bit dry for me. Doesn't mesh as well as it could with the drums and vocal which really have space to them.

Just my 2 cents

My only one nitpick would be I'd like to hear the bass a little more. It seems to really take a back seat to the guitars and it seems to be doing more.

Great playing in the solo section.

My only one nitpick would be I'd like to hear the bass a little more. It seems to really take a back seat to the guitars and it seems to be doing more.

Great playing in the solo section.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree the bass was too low in the mix. I also felt the intro was not interesting enough, and that the outro could also do with some spicing up. Here is a remix with some additional guitar overdubs. Feedback on this remix is most welcome!

Disposable World V2.mp3 - Google Drive

Cool song, listened to both original mix and "V2" Love the guitar overdubs, think maybe the bass guitar is a little buried still, great vocals , and guitars have a Pearl Jam vibe to them for sure, dig the solo, nice wah...cool!

Good track man!! I feel like there isn't much separation in the low end and just kinda washes over, but could just be the headphones i was listening on at the time. Love the guitar tone!

I think the guitars sound good and vocals pop out enough. I think maybe a little too much on the verb especially on drums. Bass could still come up a little more. Part of that may be there seems to be a lot of low-mid buildup that is kinda confusing the low end freqs. Good job though..cool song.

Sounds good. Interested in your process, gear etc. Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

Here is my gear:
Guitar: In this case a sub 200 buck Harley Benton CST24 (basically a PRS SE Custom 24 clone)
Guitar Amp: I go between a POD HD500 and a Kemper. In this case a Kemper via SPIDF. I take a guitar DI always just in case I want to reamp. I use the POD HD500 when my Kemper is being used for band practice.
Bass: Midi using Trillian VSTi
Drums: Superior Drummer 3 with a preset I developed over some years and a snare triggered in Addictive Trigger that I like to blend in.
DAW: Reaper using a lot of plugins and a mix template I developed over many years. I use a technique very close to Nolly from Periphery. His "Nail The Mix" session of Prayer Position was an eye opener for me and I use many of his approaches. Key deviations are his approach is that I have a "SUBMIX" and a "MIXBUSS" channel in the DAW. In the SUBMIX channel I put all plugins except the limiter(s) and last clipper. That way I can see the level before it hits the limiter in real time and ensure I am peaking about -6dB. I also have a separate INSTRUMENTS and VOCAL buss that go into the SUBMIX. I treat them separately.

Any other questions, let me know.

Might be starting a YouTube channel soon and might do some mix walkthroughs. If that is something you would like or you think others would like, please let me know.

Back