Discussion of early 16-track and 24-track machines

ofajen

Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby
OK, here we have a separate thread to discuss the early 16-track and 24-track machines, so that Cory's MM-1000 project thread can keep its focus.

My contribution will be modest, but I will start about by noting that I've corresponded with Dale Manquen about how he surreptitiously created the first 3M M-56 16-track machine under the boss's nose (Jack Mullin) because Wally Heider, a long time customer, wanted such a machine. The prototype work was done in the spring of 1968 and then shown publicly that summer, IIRC. That does not make it the first 16-track machine. However, it may have been the first, commercially-available 16 track machine with the cards all in a single housing and controlled entirely by a single, centralized remote. I will be only too happy to be corrected in that regard if there is an earlier example.

Thought that might be of interest, but of course discussion of the early Ampex multi-tracks is welcome here, too.

Cheers,

Otto

I'd have to say that if that's when the M-56-16 was introduced its the first 16-track of that format that I'VE seen...who else came out with a 16-track around that time? Studer? Scully?

Away from the shop ATM...how many rack units are the discrete M-23/56/64 modules? 3U? 4U? Can you imagine an M-56-16 with the discrete modules??? Just picture two of the M-56-8's. :eek:

227799_157405047655569_157242584338482_334911_2571087_n.jpg

Dale's solution was brilliant. IIRC the idea for such a setup (with card drawers or trays and more centralized power) was obviously discussed at Ampex (see page 3 "Electronics" of this document...) but it took Ampex until the advent of the MM-1100 to produce it...that was, what...1974?? Not sure about that...'73?

3M Mincom M-56 2" 16-track:

m-56 main.jpg

front-rear.jpg

Ampex MM-1100 2" 16-track:

MM-1100 main.jpg

MM-1100 exposed.jpg

MM-1100 electronics drawer.jpg

The M-23/M-64 modules are 3U. I have seen a picture (maybe Dale emailed it to me) of a prototype successor to the M-23 that had 2U electronics, 8 channels above the transport, a la AG-440-8, but I don't that product ever went to market. That might have been an officially sanctioned prototype, while the M-56 was built quickly, under the radar, until it was done and working, at which point it was time to ask forgiveness, rather than permission. I don't think Scully had such a machine, because I recall Dale saying how impressed Scully was at the show where the M-56 debuted.

Cheers,

Otto

There's Cory showig off again! ;)

I've met Dale Manquen. Went to his in-home engineering lab to do some computer repairs for him, many years ago. Got a look at what he was into, and we started talking about recording and technology. The man is a genius and is highly accomplished. I was riveted by his tales for well over an hour. He showed me some stuff, too, vintage thru prototype. A lucky strike for me, as things go, and very impressive. That guy is deep.

I also knew Dean Jensen, of Jensen Transformers. He could also weave a tale and was a very deep thinker. A whole other thread.

I have an MS-16 and MSR-24, so what can I say? Nothing. I'm definitely not an expert.

:eek:;):spank:

There goes Dave being humble again! "what can I say" indeed...you have hands-on experience with the vast majority of Tascam tape machines, and you know how to get some of the very best out of their cassette based machines (which pose unique challenges)...sheesh...

The man is a genius and is highly accomplished. I was riveted by his tales for well over an hour. He showed me some stuff, too, vintage thru prototype. A lucky strike for me, as things go, and very impressive. That guy is deep.

Indeed. If you go to his website, one little page (among many) will tell you that he created a servo-controlled, direct drive capstan motor and electronics for the M-23. You swap out the flywheel, capstan motor, etc. and install a direct drive motor with crystal oscillator controlled servo electronics. What the page doesn't tell you is that you can't have one, because he won't support it. He had installed it for a number of machines, mostly at the Eastman School of Music, but now he has those machines back. Perhaps if I plead a stronger case...

Either that, or study up on how John Stephens adapted the 3M transports to his servo-controlled, capstanless system where the reel motors do all the work and there is no capstan and no pinch rollers.

Cheers,

Otto

Back