Disconnecting Hardwares Properly

Dav3Danc15

I read something online about how to properly turn on hardwares/gadgets so you don't destroy them. I just can't remember what website it was and how to do it.

I think there's a step on how to properly do it to avoid pops/clicks. I feel like this is really important to remember.

For example, I have a Condenser Mic, Studio monitors, audio interfaces and a computer. Which one should be turned on first and vice versa.

I'm not sure if I explained it really well

Follow the signal going in for power-up....mic, preamp, interface, monitors....then in reverse for shut-down.

That's kind a the basic sequence.

The main thing is to turn on your speakers (or amp for the speakers) last and turn them off first. That way if anything else causes a pop or a bang, you don't blow your speakers or your ear drums.

Miroslav is right about trying to do the whole thing in the order of the signal chain but the rest isn't nearly as critical.

If you have a lot, and I mean A LOT of gear it might be best to invest in something here?..
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...-Power-Distribution%2Fdp%2FB0037GPLOE;300;300

(wow! Hope that condenses!)
Otherwise, as others have stated. Monitors really should not go on/off with a bang! Bad design IMO. My Tannoys produce just the softest "whump".
All my kit, 2 PCs, monitor speakers, 2 monitor screens and a mixer all get banged on from a 13A double outlet and two switches. Been so for 6 years, nary a problem. It is important for hum loop elimination anyway that power comes from just one source.

Dave.

I have my interface, monitors, aux power amp (with bookshelf speakers), LED lights and lava lamp on a switched power strip (I don't use the AI or monitors except when doing music). When I made my new desk, I put the switch in a convenient spot with all the power cords hidden behind/underneath. I wish Tascam had put the phantom power switch on the FRONT of the US800, though.

I have my interface, monitors, aux power amp (with bookshelf speakers), LED lights and lava lamp on a switched power strip (I don't use the AI or monitors except when doing music). When I made my new desk, I put the switch in a convenient spot with all the power cords hidden behind/underneath. I wish Tascam had put the phantom power switch on the FRONT of the US800, though.

Being an inveterate tinkerer I would build a phantom power blocking breakout box with individual input switches!

Dave.

"Speakers on last, speaker off first."

I have two power strips; a power conditioner for my rack and a power strip for my monitors. Hit one button, then the other. Easy.

I guess im over cautious. But on top of the above recommendations, I pull all the levels down before any power switching. I also "eject" the USB connection before powering down the interface.

I guess im over cautious. But on top of the above recommendations, I pull all the levels down before any power switching. I also "eject" the USB connection before powering down the interface.

Over cautious indeed! But no harm. There was of course the infamous "Firewire hot plugging" fiasco of a few years ago and strictly speaking we ALL should pull faders and power down before plugging in another bit of kit...But, "To err....." di-da!

One thing I always try to remember is to "eject" usb thumb drives before pulling them. Does not actually matter for drives under 16meg (I think that is the breakpoint?) but a good practice to get into methinks?

Dave.

I'm ruthless with USB drives.....I just yank those mothers out, screw the "safely remove" crap. :D
Never had any issue...regardless of drive size.
As long as there is no active file transfer in process...there's nothing else going on when it's connected.
Back in say....Windows NT and 2K days....the whole USB thing was still in it's infancy, and that "eject" process was needed.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254868/safely_remove_usb_drives_just_by_unplugging_them.html

Most of my studio power up/down process is really for my analog gear. AFA as the computer and attached devices, I like to turn the converters and other attached gear on before the computer....but I don't always do that.

Back