DirectX version of Line6 Amp Farm? A software POD.....hmmm

rdpete

I spoke to an engineer at Line6 about this, and he responded by saying that they have thought about it, but couldn't make any commitments on it for various reasons.

I would like to know, who else would like to see this become a reality? Being able to record a clean guitar into a PC, and then being able to choose the amp sound afterward?

rdpete@hotmail.com

i think that would take some of the life out of the playing, besides playing clean is different than playing with distortion and the likes, you dont hear certain mistakes you make.. if it works in real time though that would shoot my theorys to shit.. the it would be pretty cool..

- eddie-

This really wouldn't work too well without live input processing which is a real bitch. I have yet to get anything reliable working with any of the software already out there.

Slackmaster 2000

When you play guitar with effects "on" you play differently than when you are playing clean.
When you have effects and distortion "on" you get different harmonics/overtones and you respond/react to these in your playing accordingly.
I don't know of many guitar players that add effects as an afterthought. But I do know that many time I record vocals and then add effects afterwards. So the idea isn't out of the question.

Record clean?? Can you imagine Eddie Van Halen recording Eruption clean and then adding distortion later?? That sounds crazy. Maybe I am just a mediocre guitar player, but I cannot imagine playing any sort of overdriven rock n roll clean. . .makes me shudder just thinking about it.

"I was wondering why there wasn't something like a Direct X plug-ins version of the amp simulations. This would be very useful in many recording cases both on guitar and other instruments. The information from Line 6: there's no enough power in (Direct X, Premiere, VST, etc...). The plug-in ties up an entire DSP chip on the Digi DSP Farm card for each iteration of the plugging. On a system without dedicated DSP, this would seriously limit the number of audio tracks available and other plug-ins that could be used, as well as suffering a fairly serious (along the order of 130ms) processing delay. If it can't be done real-time, many guitar players would most likely have a problem, as playing style is directly affected by tone. They measured a 130 ms 350 MHz system. A computer with 400 or even 500 MHz would still be in the slapback delay range. By comparison, the processing latency on the POD is 1.7 ms. "

from: http://home.student.utwente.nl/e.m.szwajcer/crm/music/pod.html

What about this:
They could make a special POD Pro with bypassed output (not even A/D-D/A'd by the POD) and processed output, so you play your part hearing the POD amp model you want, but the clean unprocessed signal is sent to the computer. AFter that, during mixdown, you send the signal back to the POD through digital S/PDIF output (unprocessed signal) and the POD returns a processed digital signal so you can select the sound after having recorded. If you can play through a POD (practically) without latency, this would work.

[This message has been edited by DropD (edited 03-31-2000).]

I got a free demo video from Digidesign (the makers of ProTools) when I was shopping for recording software and they had a blurb about Line6's Amp Farm. This was before I ever even heard of the Pod (I know it was out, but I didn't know about it at the time). It looked pretty cool, it's a TDM effect that is fully programable and automatable. They recorded a guitar through a DI and made all effect and distortion changes after the guitarist left the studio. I don't know if it's still offered, but if you can have Digidesign send you a copy of this video.

Back