DirectX system slowdowns- HELP!

Eric J

Hello, I have been lurking here a long time, and figured I would register when I HAD to.
Well here is the problem - I have recently reinstalled Win 98, and foolishly put in the latest directX, ver. 7. something.
Now my directX plugins slow down or hang my computer. I know that the directX plugins are not directly related to the directX for games, but do use some of the 'runtime' elements.
My question is - which version of DirectX should I install for my system?

My system is:
ASUS SP97-V mobo, 96 megs of EDO ram,
WIN 98,
Creative Ensoniq audioPCI (with SB PCI64 drivers)
using (primarily):
Cool Edit Pro,
Blueline directX plugins,
Rubberduck softsynth,

AND IT'S ALL CRAWLING RIGHT NOW!!

Oh yeah, some more info might help:
AMD K6-200 MMX is the chip,

and my recording is mostly of my folk-based band, running through a JVC mixer to the line-ins of my card.

The attempt here was to put some basic FX on the sources - a bit of compression, reverb etc. on acoustic sources. Realtime FX was the intention, but I don't expect much from my bare-bones system.

But any help would be gratefully appreciated!

I don't think I'm going to help much, but as soon as I installed the (shareware version) Blueline plug-ins, the entire system went to the shitter, and I started getting errors left right and centre. The entire system also slowed down considerably - it was having trouble playing (not recording) 5 tracks at a time with no effects - whereas before 9 or 10 tracks were playing fine w/effects...

(I'm using an AMD (or Cyrix - I can't remember) 333Mhz with 48M RAM with n-Tracks)

I'm going to un-install the blue line stuff soon and see if that fixes things, so I'll keep you posted.

DirectX can be a complete bitch at times (it is after all a Microsoft product, bless their non-competitive little hearts :) ).

- gaffa

Back